Well I guess ole Mofo was right...

2006-03-20
2013-04-09
  • Kevin W. Shockey

Yep, I guess I was right. Yep time to let that cat out of the bag. Our old friend mofo, was your very own project admin. Hah, Well I'm sure that everyone knows by know...

But I thought I'd get that stupid secret off my chest. I've come back to clean the place up some. We might some guests coming over soon and I'd hate for them to see how abandoned SNAP has become. A pity, really. Well, no time to waste. Now where did I put the broom and mop?

• Ernesto Díaz

Ernesto Díaz - 2006-03-20

hhhhmmm Well I guess we already had the suspect we only needed the confession from him, so now we go it. Well ElecBoy Reporting for duty sir. If you need you now were to contact me.

• Kevin W. Shockey

hehe, well, well, well. Oh boy, now the real fun starts. Our challenge if we choose to accept it is to resurrect our old tricks and see if can't raise this sucker from the dead. Why? Who cares!

Check here: http://www.lwnwexpo.plumcom.ca/conf_glance_day.cfm
      What is the first session on April 25th? Him some dickhead named mofo will talk about building open source software using Sourceforge.net. BTW, I proposed this same session to LW San Francisco, so may still be life in this old beat up project.

• PJ Cabrera

PJ Cabrera - 2006-03-20

Hey, congrats on the talks getting approved. Are you and Joseph doing anything new for Toronto, or are you repeating the OSCON stuff? That was a cool session, BTW.

• Kevin W. Shockey

And welcome. It is a little broader for LW Toronto. Minimal cross platform.

• Kevin W. Shockey

The challenge, raise SNAP from 26 OMFG thousand to at least the top 100.

One question we must answer is do we keep the Java-based SNAP Platform on life support or do we pull the plug? 

• Kevin W. Shockey

Is there something that we can put together that honors the spirit of SNAP, but provides us a project we actually want to work on. It's time to pull off the masks and set aside the ghosts of the past.

• Ernesto Díaz

Well it's hard but we can try to revive this sucker. But that will have to wait when April starts because if we start now will be tired by April 25th.

• Ernesto Díaz

Well I was thinking in keeping SNAP Platform alive. But I think It will be more great if we keep the same name different project. I am interested in contributing to the project but other one that dosen't involves Java Platform.

• Kevin W. Shockey

Well I wasn't really thinking that hard and then it hit me. We could do a .Net flavor of SNAP Platform. What with Nant, NUnit, NHibernate, Mono, and all of it's related apps, there are many of the same synergies. I'm probably wrong, but I don;t think anyone is pulling this stuff together. Plus it gives a chance to do both Windows and Linux.

• Kevin W. Shockey

With the PRIDCO shackles off us. It can really be anything. It could be both Java and a version in .Net.

• PJ Cabrera

PJ Cabrera - 2006-03-20

As for Windows and Linux releases, I could look into other Java VMs and see which run on both Linux and Windows. For one, Apache Harmony (the bastard child of IBM and Intel) runs on Windows already. But it's not 100 % open (ironic, isn't it?)

Having both .NET and Java flavors sounds good. Maybe if there was a PHP flavor as well, Elec and Lenny might like being involved more. Lenny and Elec always said they wished they could do more for the project than just web pages.

But what goes in a PHP-flavored SNAP Platform? PHP, a DB with drivers, an editor and some ready to run examples?

And how do we organize these different distributions? I suggest the following:

1 - Create on SF snap-mono, snap-java, and snap-php projects, and make the current snap SF page a site that points at all the others, and posts the latest news for all.

2 - snapplatform.org is the central hub, with download pages for all, and support forums for each "platform".

Now, this is a lot for April 25, so we do this after the conference. I'm just answering "out loud" Kevin's and Elec's comments about how to make the project something we all want to contribute to.

The above is just a stab in the dark, suggestions welcome.

• Ernesto Díaz

Well I know we can try our best. The creation of different projects in sf.net sound great and also leaving "SnapPlatform.org" as the hub is a great idea since people already know the webpage and we still get web hits.

• Kevin W. Shockey

Well, I'm going to start making it a part of my routine. That should get some momentum going, then we can hit it really hard in April. Agreed!

• Kevin W. Shockey

I don't agree with separate projects. That just defeats the purpose of leveraing our work to get whuffie; SF whuffie.

Why can't it be as simple as saying that we are working torward a monster DVD, or yet to be invented yet, distributions medium that would contain SNAP Platform. SNAP Platform contains tools divided by focus: Java, .Net, PHP, XUL, Python. Many would share the same components any way, such as Apache, MySQL or Postgres, etc.

What we have learned from Java we leverage for the next Live CD (virtual machine) for .Net. We can even have simultaneous efforts underway. Why not.

We choose what SNAP Platform means/is. You might be worred about poetntially confusing users or customers. What users or customers? Let's get some first, then we can be concerned about them.

• PJ Cabrera

PJ Cabrera - 2006-03-21

Separate SF projects - I was just mentioning ideas; that's what popped into my head at that late hour.

But you're right, I was just thinking separate places on SF would be less confusing. Let's create the larger project with .Net and maybe PHP, and if people get confused, we'll do something about it then.

I already have a VMware image of SNAP 0.8, I just haven't made the release yet. I'll get on it.

I'll make a separate image in Qemu, for the FOSS purists to download.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks