Marketing Opportunity

Brand
2004-04-07
2004-05-23
  • Kevin W. Shockey

When I was meeting with a friendly supervisor from Borders I was approaching for assistance with the upcoming Open Source Congress, her misinterpretation of my request gave me a good marketing idea. As I have mentioned (or have I? Hmm), one of our challenges (as if we needed more challenges, geez!) is that we can not spend any of our funding on marketing. Therefore, until we have some revenues coming in, all of our advertising must be for free.

A common event at Border's is the guest speaker/book event. You know you have seen them, they setup a small table with some books around it and an author gives a presentation and discusses the book. Well through the power of cafepress.com and lulu.com, do-it yourself publishing is readily available. So here is what we do. When we have enough content, we pull it together and publish a book. We request a book event with Borders to present our book. We then order copies from these sites to sell at the event. Prepare a lively discussion, and Borders's does the marketing for us. However, I wonder if we might have to pay them anything? I'll br meeting with local marketing manager so I'll give an update after I ask.

How about Rowing against the current. Our experience establishing the first open source project in Puerto Rico; the trials and tribulations working with the government, academia, and the pro-Microsoft companies to make the new knowledge economy a reality here in Puerto Rico.

• diony

diony - 2004-05-22

What about Strabucks?  That is a nice place to plug in computers and give demonstrations about open source, talking about technology, and follow your idea about the "book" too!

We could do a like a OpenSource tour at Starbucks!

• diony

diony - 2004-05-22

What about Starbucks?  That is a nice place to plug in computers and give demonstrations about open source, talking about technology, and follow your idea about the "book" too!

We could do a like a OpenSource tour at Starbucks!

• lenny

lenny - 2004-05-22

...demonstrations about open source? could u give more details? I know u posted it twice but still didnt catch it! Lol

• diony

diony - 2004-05-23

Posted twice...thats extrange!  What I did wrong? Anyways...what I ment with demonstrations is to give information in small get together, meetings like we did this last friday!  Just to show the benefits of OpenSource and projects like ours!

• Anonymous - 2004-05-23

hmm, I think it's a good idea, depending on which starbuck are you refering to, I mean, I don't think they'll let us do that at starbucks Old San Juan, hmm perhaps I could talk with a guy I know from starbucks Rexville Towne Centre. Perhaps if we could entice them by saying we'll bring you lot of customers and they'll buy lots of coffee drinks, heh heh ;P

• diony

diony - 2004-05-23

Why not Old San Juan?  Haven't been there!  I have been at Rexville (know a supervisor there) and the one close to CompUSA (don't know anybody from there but the supervisor from Rexville might help!)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks