Unhandled Exception-connecting to client

Help
2011-07-18
2013-05-23
  • Rob Castell

Rob Castell - 2011-07-18

Hi,  I've got SMSCliCtr V2.0.4.0 installed and also dotnet 1,1, 2.0 SP2, 3 and 3.5 SP1 installed on XP SP3. When I attempt to connect to a Client I get the following error message:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. if you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.
    The given path's format is not supported.

Details:
    ************** Exception Text **************
    System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.
       at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CanonicalizePath(String path, Boolean needFullPath)
       at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CreateListFromExpressions(String str, Boolean needFullPath)
       at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
       at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
       at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)
       at System.Diagnostics.TextWriterTraceListener.EnsureWriter()
       at System.Diagnostics.TextWriterTraceListener.WriteLine(String message)
       at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.WriteLine(String message)
       at System.Diagnostics.Trace.WriteLine(String message)
       at SMSCliCtrV2.Main.tsb_Connect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Continuing doesn't work and I also notice a corresponding Application event Source .NET Runtime 2.0 error Event ID: 5000

EventType clr20r3, P1 smsclictrv2.exe, P2 2.0.4.0, P3 4ddd1ba1, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4889dc80, P7 2d6c, P8 2e, P9 system.notsupportedexception, P10 NIL.

I've tried removing and reinstalling all dotnet versions and reinstalling Client Center but it didn't help.

Does anybody have any ideas? System does not have any other issues.

Thanks

• Roger

Roger - 2011-07-18

Do you have a %TEMP% variable defined and you have write access to %Temp%… if yes, is there a Log File starting with smsclictr*.log ?
    Does the Error ocur if you connect a machine or directly after starting the tool ?

• Rob Castell

Rob Castell - 2011-07-19

Thanks…with your help it's working now…appears to be the %TEMP% variable itself.  For some reason I must have added a folder path to the %TEMP% variable instead of the %PATH% variable.  Mine looked like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Z74653\Local Settings\Temp;E:\SUPPORT\Tools

As soon as I removed the ;E:\SUPPORT\Tools part Client Center  would connect.  The error happened immediately after I hit the Connect button.  I guess it tries to right to the log file at that point and fails.

Thanks again!!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks