CriticalSection bug

2006-12-25
2013-04-08
  • Nobody/Anonymous

While browsing your project's source code, I just noticed a bug in CriticalSection::unlock():

void unlock()
        {
            ::LeaveCriticalSection( & itsCs );
            itsIsLocked = false;
        }

should be:

void unlock()
        {
            itsIsLocked = false;
        }

Otherwise CriticalSection::isLocked() can wrongly return false while the CS is locked.

• andrew7

andrew7 - 2006-12-26

Note that ::LeaveCriticalSection does not block, so we are examining a rare case.

It is possible to have a switch from the unlock code in a few places:

void unlock()
      {
      itsIsLocked = false;
      }

Switching away for #1 or #3 causes no problem.   If we switch away while a thread is at #2,  then rarely itsIsLocked is true, but the ::LeaveCriticalSection was called.  The thread that gets itsIsLocked is true must handle this condition anyhow. So I don't see a big impact. 

If we take your suggested code, then rarely itsIsLocked is false, but the ::LeaveCriticalSection was not called.  So another thread then calls lock, and has to wait until the original thread resumes and does the ::LeaveCriticalSection.  Note that itsIsLocked might be false now, but another thread could jump in and enter the critical section before you anyhow.
      So I don't see a big impact.

So I suggest we just leave the code as it is.

best regards, Andrew

p.s.  Perhaps this is what you meant, because your change sets itsIsLocked even sooner, before the ::LeaveCriticalSection happens.  That change would make it more likely that the ::LeaveCriticalSection has not happened yet. And the stated problem was "CriticalSection::isLocked() can wrongly return false while the CS is locked"  That is actually the slight problem with your "should be", as I understand it.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks