slashem for blind users

dovienya
2008-04-06
2013-06-03
  • dovienya

dovienya - 2008-04-06

I have been playing Nethack for years and slashem has always seemed very interesting.  So, this morning, I decided to try and download it.  I am a blind user, so I need a text version of slashem.  I first downloaded the slashem for windows (I believe it is GKU, GK something) and this is just purely graphical and I don't see any options for changing it.  I also found a link on the main page for an ASCII version, which I believe is what I need.  HOwever, I have downloaded this and extracted the files but when I click on the slashem file it repeatedly asks me if I would like to run the software and then immediately closes the window.  I am not sure if any of this made sense, but if someone could post me some basic step-by-step instuctions on how to get a accessible version of slashem I would greatly appreciate it. 

-Dov

• J. Ali Harlow

J. Ali Harlow - 2008-04-06

It is possible to switch the GTK version to use a font rather than tiles. At that point it ought to be possible to use GTK's accessibility framework. However, I've never tested this so it may well be badly broken and, as I understand it, accessibility support isn't as good under Ms-Windows as Linux anyway.

You probably are better off with the pure text (console) version. It's not clear what's going wrong, but the first step would be to open a console window (or DOS window as some versions of Ms-Windows call it) and run the program from there (by using cd to change to the relevant directory and then typing slashem). This way any messages printed should remain visible and will hopefully help diagnose the problem.

Cheers,

Ali.

• dovienya

dovienya - 2008-04-09

OK, so I am using windows xp and there is no DOS prompt available.  I do have nethack up and working, however, so the problem is in something I am doing.  Could you direct me to which download would be best and explain how to then properly instal.  I know this seems rather silly, but I must have done something wrong.  I downloaded slashem (I believe an ascii version I found on the main page) but unzipping was either not successful or I did it wrong because the game itself will not open.  I vaguely recall having this same problem the first time I downloaded nethack, but this was awhile back and I forget now what I did. 

Many thanks
      -Dov

• J. Ali Harlow

J. Ali Harlow - 2008-04-10

As an aside, under XP, it's called "Command Prompt" and hides under the "Accessories" sub-menu.

Slash'EM differs from Nethack in that we only provide one core binary for MS-Windows (Nethack provies one pre-configured for ASCII and one for graphics). This means you need to do a little tweaking to switch to ASCII:

First download and install the core binary for MS-Windows. Then navigate from "My Computer" into "C:\Program Files\SlashEM\SlashEM 0.0.7E3" (or if you changed the default install location to whatever you specified). You should see a file called defaults.nh. Edit this with Notepad (ie., use right-click, Open, Select program from list, Notepad, OK). Near the start of this file you will find the following lines:

# *** OPTIONS ***
        #
        # Use the TTY (console) window interface instead of the default GUI interface.
        # Note: This has no effect if you are using a plug-in window interface, such
        # as gtkhack.
        # OPTIONS=windowtype:tty

Remove the '#' character from the front of the last line so that it now looks like:

# *** OPTIONS ***
        #
        # Use the TTY (console) window interface instead of the default GUI interface.
        # Note: This has no effect if you are using a plug-in window interface, such
        # as gtkhack.
        OPTIONS=windowtype:tty

Save and exit from Notepad. Now when you run SlashEM (either from the desktop icon or from the start menu), you will get the ASCII windowing interface.

Enjoy the game,

Ali.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks