sipe plugin not working with osx 10.9 mavericks

Help
Guy Erlich
2013-10-24
2013-11-11
  • Guy Erlich

Guy Erlich - 2013-10-24

After upgrading to OSX 10.9 mavericks, the plugin stopped working.
    The connect errors with "read error".
    I've upgraded to the latest 1.16.1 version but still the same.

• dondky

dondky - 2013-10-24

I believe this is a known issue:

https://sourceforge.net/p/sipe/bugs/216/

I experience the same. Don't think there is a workaround at the present time. To the best of my knowledge this is some fix in NSS that doesn't jive with ocs.

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2013-10-25

As far as I know OS X doesn't use NSS for it's CDSA crypto stack. I'm speculating that a similar security fix for BEAST attacks that is implemented NSS 3.13 (and newer) has now also been implemented in OS X 10.9.

I would appreciate if any Mac user with connections to Apple could confirm that suspicion. I couldn't find anything in the Apple URLs that can be found on the CVE page describing the BEAST attack.

• cihusss

cihusss - 2013-10-29

Same here on Mavericks, "read error".

• R.Coulter

R.Coulter - 2013-10-31

I have been able to get Adium 1.5.8 with SIPE 1.16.1 working on OS 10.9 by changing my authentication method to Kerberos. However, it will periodically disconnect me while I'm conversing with someone and have to reconnect. I'm unsure of what's causing that.

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2013-11-05

I have updated the FAQ with the latest information about Mac OS X 10.9.

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2013-11-11

Status update:

• the workaround to disable SSL BEAST mitigation using a preferences setting unfortunately doesn't work, because due to a bug in the 10.9 Security framework the user setting is ignored.
    • there is a code snippet for the Adium ssl-cdsa.c module to disable SSL BEAST mitigation via SSL session option for every SSL connection generated generated by the prpl-sipe plugin. At least one user reported that with this patch he can connect again.