Buddy Photos with Lync

Help
Tom
2014-02-13
2014-06-06
  • Tom

Tom - 2014-02-13

Hello,

Not sure if this is a bug or feature request so I'm asking on the forums first. In short, buddy photos do not appear in Pidgin (using 2.10.7) when connected to Lync 2010 or Lync 2013. Photos for Yahoo, Google, etc. do appear correctly.

My question is - should this work (bug) or does the functionality not exist (feature request)?

Thanks

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2014-02-13

This works fine, I just tried again on my Lync 2013 test account.

I would check the --debug log if your setup actually offers buddy photos. If they aren't there, then SIPE can't show them.

• Tom

Tom - 2014-02-13

Stefan,

I have the log file; however, I'm not clear what I should be looking for to understand if my "setup offers buddy photos". I have Lync 2010 on this same machine and it shows photos in its interface.

Is there a setting/entry in the log file I should be looking for?

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2014-02-14

Search for the string "Photo"? Or attach the log.

• Tom

Tom - 2014-02-14

These appear to be the relevant entries for "photo". Looks like it's setup to display photos.

sipe: get_photo_ab_entry_response: received valid SOAP message from service https://lyncpool01.corp.mycompany.com/groupexpansion/service.svc/WebTicket_Bearer
    <ReturnList>displayName,msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress,title,telephoneNumber,homePhone,mobile,otherTelephone,mail,company,country,photoRelPath,photoSize,photoHash</ReturnList>
    </contactCard>
      <displayADPhoto>true</displayADPhoto>
    </contactCard>

Also posting log file.

• Stefan Becker

Your log shows that SIPE requests photo data from the DLX service, e.g.

<AbEntryRequest>
     <ChangeSearch ...>
      <AbEntryRequest.ChangeSearchQuery>
       <SearchOn>msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress</SearchOn>
        <Value>sip:ABC.DEF@mycompany.com</Value>
      </AbEntryRequest.ChangeSearchQuery>
     </ChangeSearch>
     <Metadata>
      <FromDialPad>false</FromDialPad>
      <MaxResultNum>1</MaxResultNum>
      <ReturnList>displayName,msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress,title,telephoneNumber,homePhone,mobile,otherTelephone,mail,company,country,photoRelPath,photoSize,photoHash</ReturnList>
     </Metadata>
    </AbEntryRequest>

but the response only contains mail, mobile, telephonenumber, msrtcsip-primaryuseraddress, company, title, displayname, but not the requested photo information. Therefore SIPE can't display anything.

• Tom

Tom - 2014-02-14

Interesting - how is the Microsoft Lync client able to display the photo? If I start Lync & Pidgin next to each other on the same machine, Lync displays the photo.

Also, isn't photoRelPath (Photo Relative Path) the location of the photo in the return list above?

• Stefan Becker

The response does not contain a photorelpath item.

I can only assume that <displayADPhoto>true</displayADPhoto> means that the photo is only stored in the Windows AD. SIPE doesn't talk to Windows AD and I'm not sure if it is possible at all or with what effort

• I guess LDAP is required
      • LDAP implementation, autodiscovery, authentication?
      • portability issues if an external LDAP library needs to be used?
      • test environment available?

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2014-02-15

After some digging around:

ldapsearch -H ldap://<ADSERVER> -b 'dc=<DOMAIN>,dc=com' -Omaxssf=0 '(msrtcsip-primaryuseraddress=sip:USER@DOMAIN.com)' -LLL thumbnailphoto

This requires valid authentication, i.e. a Kerberos TGT.

The returned thumbnailphoto attribute contains a JPEG file in a base64 encoded string.

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2014-06-06

FYI: if you update to git commit fe8c19a you should be able to see buddy photos at least for part of your buddies. Your log shows that some of them have a Photo URL in the contact card.