SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Failed to build on Linux RHEL 6.2

Help
DCossey014
2013-03-23
2013-03-29
  • DCossey014

DCossey014 - 2013-03-23

I am trying to build this on a system where I don't have root privileges.  It's on a work computer and I'm tired of VMWare for only Outlook and MS Communicator. 

I built Pidgin 2.10 with the following flags:
    ./configure -prefix=/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10 -with-x -with-nss-includes=/usr/include/nss3 -with-nss-libs=/usr/lib64 -with-nspr-libs=/usr/lib64 -with-nspr-includes=/usr/include/nspr4 -with-system-ssl-certs=${HOME}/etc/ssl/certs -disable-screensaver -disable-gtkspell -disable-vv -disable-meanwhile -disable-avahi -disable-nm -disable-tcl

Pidgin builds and installs fine.  But I get the following error when trying to build SIPE:
    "checking for purple SSL support… configure: error: in `/data/COSSEY/opt/pidgin-sipe-1.15.0':
    configure: error: your purple hasn't been compiled with SSL support."

SIPE build flags:
    ./configure PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig" CFLAGS="-I/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10/include -I/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10/include/libpurple -I/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10/include/finch -I/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10/include/gnt -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0/glib -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/nss3 -I/usr/include/nspr4 " PURPLE_LIBS="-L/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10/lib -L/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10/lib/purple-2 -L/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10/lib/pidgin" NSS_LIBS="-L/usr/lib64" -prefix=/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10 -enable-purple -disable-telepathy

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2013-03-23

Basic Shell programming 101.

You wrote

program VAR=xyz ...

so the program will get a command line parameter "VAR=xyz".

If you write

VAR=xyz program ...

then the shell will start program in a sub-process where the environment variable "VAR" is set to "xyz".

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2013-03-23

Your configuration line is also way too complicated. It should only be

./configure --prefix=/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10 --enable-purple --disable-telepathy

as all the rest should be coming from the system via pkg-config. SIPE's configure.ac has special support to look into "${libdir}/pkgconfig" for people compiling their own Pidgin, so the -prefix will take care of that.

As you got Pidgin compiled already, I assume that the necessary -devel packages are already installed on the machine. Here what you should probably see on your machine (not all of the packages are mandatory):

$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}:/data/COSSEY/opt/PIDGIN-2.10/lib/pkgconfig" pkg-config --list-all | fgrep -e glib-2.0 -e gmodule-2.0 -e purple -e gmime -e nss -e libxml-2.0 -e gstreamer-0.10 -e nice
    nice                                libnice - ICE library
    purple                              libpurple - libpurple is a GLib-based instant messenger library.
    nss                                 NSS - Network Security Services
    gstreamer-0.10                      GStreamer - Streaming media framework
    gmodule-2.0                         GModule - Dynamic module loader for GLib
    libxml-2.0                          libXML - libXML library version2.
    gmime-2.6                           GMime - MIME parser and utility library
    glib-2.0                            GLib - C Utility Library

• DCossey014

DCossey014 - 2013-03-23

I have everything in that list except GMIME.  Output of pkg_config:

pkg-config -list-all | fgrep -e glib-2.0 -e gmodule-2.0 -e purple -e gmime -e nss -e libxml-2.0 -e gstreamer-0.10 -e nice

glib-2.0                       GLib - C Utility Library
    openssl                     OpenSSL - Secure Sockets Layer and cryptography libraries and tools
    gmodule-2.0             GModule - Dynamic module loader for GLib
    nss                             NSS - Network Security Services
    nss-util                      NSS-UTIL - Network Security Services Utility Library
    purple                        libpurple - libpurple is a GLib-based instant messenger library.
    finch                           Finch - Finch is an instant messenger application that uses libpurple for protocol support and ncurses
                                       (libgnt) for the UI.
    libxml-2.0                  libXML - libXML library version2.
    gstreamer-0.10       GStreamer - Streaming media framework
    nss-softokn              NSS-SOFTOKN - Network Security Services Softoken PKCS

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2013-03-24

gmime is optional. You are missing libnice, so Voice & Video feature will be disabled. openssl & finc aren't used by SIPE.

IMHO configure should run through in your setup. If not, can you post the configure output and the file config.log on a pastebin page?

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2013-03-29

FYI: the package ownership for pidgin-sipe on EPEL was finally granted to me. I'll push updates for EPEL5/6 after the upcoming 1.15.1 release.

If you want then you can try to install the EPEL6 test build for 1.15.0