The future...

Developers
2002-01-21
2003-10-31
  • Chad Hardin

    Chad Hardin - 2002-01-21

    In order to facilitate rapid, easy, and collaborative development, I'm restarting development of SGstep from scratch.

    The goal is to use the CVS services from Sourceforge to have a complete and automatic source-based distribution.
    Right now I'm doing all this stuff by scratch and it's a hampers process considerably

    Using the above system means that:
    1.  you can download the source form cvs, type make, and the ystem will build the iso image(s), including building RPMs.
    2.  Porting will be possible
    3.contributions will be easily made.

    Basically you'll DL the CVS source, type make, wait about 24hrs (really) and out will pop an iso image.  if you encounter a problem while compiling, simply fix it and upload you r changes to via CVS. 
    Note that you need a separate partition to use this method because the process is
    1. build
    2. boot into new build
    3 complete building

    Note that this partitioon will have to be several *Gigabytes*,I'm thinking at least 4GB, so you may want to entertatain buying a new HD if you plan to contribute.

    Of course pre-buil ISO images will still be made and available for DL!

    Thanks!

    Chad

     
    • David A. Ross

      David A. Ross - 2003-10-30

      Hi Chad.  Are you still moving forward on this? 
      I've been a huge NeXTStep fan since the 80's when I had a NeXTStation on my desk, and now I'm a Linux fan as well.  So, I'd like to contribute as much as I'm able as well.
      I'm a Sysadmin by trade, but have done some programming as well. 

      Let me know!  Thanks!

       
      • Chad Hardin

        Chad Hardin - 2003-10-31

        Yep sure am!

        I've created debian packages for virtually 80% of the GNUstep stuff out there, I'm currently working on the other 20%.

        I've been busy this week creatig web servers using my newly aquired domains (sgstep.*, and simplygnustep.*)

        simplygnustep.com/org/net will be for the distro.

        sgstep.com/org/net will provide .Mac type services.

         

Log in to post a comment.