I got It!, but...

Help
Emmanuel
2002-03-21
2002-03-21
  • Emmanuel

Emmanuel - 2002-03-21

It took forever but I got the iso. The problem is that my computer restarts when just after grub comes up. The grub menu show up briefly, I see it loading the kernel, and then... it reboots. This was on my Pentium 200 Mhz MMX. I got it to boot on my Pentium II, but starting X failed. It said no frame buffer device. My PII had a Permida2 video card and apperantly framebuffer for this card doesn't work. Any ideas? I'm really interested in this project> I just tried to install gnustep in linux slackware 8.0 but it can't find libxml2 and ff something and they are both installed. But that's another story... Any ideas?

• Chad Hardin

Chad Hardin - 2002-03-21

The first problem you had was cause by your cpu type, the kernel needs an i686.

The second problem was just what you guessed, yu have a video card which does not support the vesa 2.0 standard

I'm currently hard at work creating a REAL distro, the file you doenloaded was basically a quick demo to perk up interest.

Thanks!

Chad

• Emmanuel

Emmanuel - 2002-03-21

I hope you continue the work. I thought I'd share some of my ideas. First, can you make it run on a i586, at least! my PII is my "production" environment. I thought about having a centralized "control center" where you can configure the system. Printers (CUPS), sound (ALSA), services like crond, X windows, menu system, etc. Of course some of these will require a root password so the program should ask for it when needed. It would be nice if it could detect most devices like video cards, mice, etc and pre-configure them. Just a thought... I can't wait till the REAL distro. I hope there will be some unity for once. No more GTK/Qt/Tk/XForms mess.Just GNUStep.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks