bootable cd initrd details

2002-01-17
2002-01-22
  • Jeff Sheets

Jeff Sheets - 2002-01-17

I'm curious how the bootable cd image grabs the right cdrom device for root.  Is it done by assumption, i.e. /dev/cdrom or /dev/cdrom0 or crash and burn, or does it use initrd or another setup to dynamically locate the root fs on the cd?  If dynamic, are you using devfs on the initrd or not?  I'd look at the image itself, but I don't happen to have a linux system available at the moment.

Jeff Sheets

• Chad Hardin

Chad Hardin - 2002-01-19

the grub bootloader is set to mount the first cdrom device /dev/cdroms/cdrom0. (it uses devfs)
      Therefore, booting the disc off a different cd-rom drive than this probably will not work.
      Note that this is ok 99% percent ofthe time unless the user has 2 cd-rom drives and boots off the second one.

• Jeff Sheets

Jeff Sheets - 2002-01-22

I have been working on my own bootable CD LFS based system recently, and have gotten it to use an initrd with the tiny package busybox on it to auto detect the cd's root filesystem from among the first 4 cd's in the device tree.  It uses devfs, ao I can guarantee that it is just searching the cd drives.  I would work on Simply GNUstep, but GNUstep grates on my nerves.  Your project has however been quite an inspiration.  If you're interested in the linuxrc script on the initrd, let me know and I'll post/email it to you, along with the required initrd filesystem layout.

Jeff Sheets

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks