Apache reverse proxy authentication + Username Authorizer

Help
axel
2021-04-07
2021-04-08
  • axel

axel - 2021-04-07

Hello,

I want to use an apache reverse proxy to do authentication with ldap/openid and use the Username Authorizer to control the access to the workers.

I successfully installed the reverse proxy and I can forward the identity of the users to signserver. However, if a user tries to sign with a worker he is not allowed to use, an authentication pop-up will appear and entering the username of someone allowed to use this worker will sign the file, instead of redirecting to a page reading "Authorization failed : Client is not authorized:".

How can I disable this pop-up and let my reverse proxy manage the authentication alone ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards.

• Markus Kilås

Markus Kilås - 2021-04-07

Hi Axel,

I suspect the issue could be that the UsernameAuthorizer will send an error 401/unauthorized and setting the WWW-Authenticate header causing the browser to displaye the login dialog instead of sending error 403/Forbidden.

I am not completely sure what would be the correct way. As it is now it is convenient if one enters the wrong username/password to be asked again instead of directly getting the failure. Maybe this should be changed.

As you have a proxy taking care of the authentication maybe you could unset the WWW-Authenticate HTTP header in the response and maybe that is enough for the browser to not display the login dialog?

Cheers,
    Markus
    PrimeKey

• axel

axel - 2021-04-08

Hi Markus,

I'm sorry, the issue was on my side, my identity forwarding wasn't properly configured for openID.

Thanks for your help
    Regards,
    Axel