Menu

Timestamp Signer slow with LunaSA

Help
2011-11-10
2013-02-26
  • Massimiliano Ziccardi

Hi all.

I've configured a Timestamp signer to sign with lunasa, however I noticed it is very very slow (3 seconds per timestamp).

Is there anything I can do to speedup the signer?
    I think it is so slow because it always open/closes the connection to the DB: is there a way to configure a kind of 'connection pool' ?

Thanks,
    Massimiliano

• Tomas Gustavsson

Java Enterprise uses connection pools. I don't know why it is slow for you, for us we can get hundreds of signatures per second.

Cheers,
    Tomas

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Do you mean I should try installing java_ee instead of simple JDK?

Thanks,
    Max-

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

This is the output of the client tool provided with signserver (sleep 50ms) :

INFO got reply after 2736 ms
    INFO TImeStampRequest validated
    INFO got reply after 2739 ms
    INFO got reply after 2660 ms
    INFO got reply after 2658 ms
    INFO got reply after 2630 ms

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

If it can be of any help, I'm using JAVA 1.7.0_01 on Windows 2008 R2

Regards,
    Massimiliano

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Ok, I've been able to make one step further: the problem is the 'ARCHIVE=true' that I really need….
    Is there a way to make the ARCHIVE operation faster??

Thanks,
    Massimiliano

• Markus Kilås

Markus Kilås - 2011-11-10

Then its either your database that is slow or the archiver implementation. The current archiver has some short-comings in that it stores the data in an large XML serializable form in the database. From SignServer 3.2.1 it will be possible to add custom archiver implementations and you could than add another archiver if you want.

Best regards,
    Markus

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Hi all.
    I made some further investigations with AppDynamics.
    There is a VERY SLOW operation inside the SignServer code (WorkerSessionBean.java at row 362) that takes more thank 1 second to complete.

Is there any easy way to make it faster?
    Noone has ever used the archiving feature?

Regards,
    Massimiliano

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Forgot to say: the DB insert require just some ms.

• Tomas Gustavsson

What version of SignServer? Can you paste the line, with a few surounding lines so we don't have to search around for something in blind?

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Can you paste the line, with a few surounding lines so we don't have to search around for something in blind?

As I said, WorkerSessionBean.java line 362.

The code is:

if (res instanceof IArchivableProcessResponse) {
                    final IArchivableProcessResponse arres =
                            (IArchivableProcessResponse) res;
                    if (awc.getProperties().getProperty(SignServerConstants.ARCHIVE,
                            "FALSE").equalsIgnoreCase("TRUE")) {
                        if (arres.getArchiveData() != null) {
                            final String requestIP = (String)
                                    requestContext.get(RequestContext.REMOTE_IP);
                            final X509Certificate clientCert = (X509Certificate)
                                    requestContext.get(
                                        RequestContext.CLIENT_CERTIFICATE);
                            archiveDataService.create(
                                    ArchiveDataVO.TYPE_RESPONSE,
                                    workerId, arres.getArchiveId(), clientCert,
                                    requestIP, arres.getArchiveData());
                        } else {
                            LOG.error("Error archiving response generated of signer "
                                    + workerId
                                    + ", archiving is not supported by signer.");
                        }
                    }
                }

• Markus Kilås

Markus Kilås - 2011-11-11

In SignServer 3.2.0 and in the pasted code line 362 is the one that starts with "archiveDataService.create(". What that does is to call ArchiveDataService.create() which inserts the data to the database. Do you have the timings for the ArchiveDataService as well? I can not see anything in it there that should take any noticeable time more then the actual database persistence.

Regards,
    Markus

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Follows everything I have

Call graph from /signserver/process
    Start time: 02:45:20 PM
    Snapshot ID: 02c2b829-1430-43b3-ba99-05d3539276f0
    java.lang.Thread:run (method time = 0 ms, total time = 609 ms)
     HTTPServlet:service:803 (method time = 0 ms, total time = 609 ms)
      HTTPServlet:service:710 (method time = 0 ms, total time = 609 ms)
       Servlet - GenericProcessServlet:doPost:245 (method time = 0 ms, total time = 609 ms)
        Servlet - GenericProcessServlet:processRequest:336 (method time = 0 ms, total time = 609 ms)
         EJB - WorkerSessionBean:process:362 (method time = 586 ms, total time = 586 ms)
         com.arjuna.ats.jbossatx.BaseTransactionManagerDelegate:commit:87 (method time = 0 ms, total time = 23 ms)
          com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.transaction.arjunacore.BaseTransaction:commit:135 (method time = 0 ms, total time = 23 ms)
           com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.transaction.arjunacore.TransactionImple:commitAndDisassociate:1389 (method time = 0 ms, total time = 23 ms)
            com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.AtomicAction:commit:177 (method time = 0 ms, total time = 23 ms)
             com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.coordinator.TwoPhaseCoordinator:end:86 (method time = 0 ms, total time = 23 ms)
              com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.coordinator.TwoPhaseCoordinator:beforeCompletion:247 (method time = 0 ms, total time = 23 ms)
               com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.resources.arjunacore.SynchronizationImple:beforeCompletion:114 (method time = 23 ms, total time = 23 ms)
                JDBC(23 ms): [0]
    [0]
    PREPARED STATEMENT BATCH
    insert into ArchiveData (time, type, signerid, archiveid, requestIssuerDN, requestCertSerialnumber, requestIP, archiveData, uniqueId) values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)

• Markus Kilås

Markus Kilås - 2011-11-11

I suspect it is the serialization of the data that takes time. As mentioned before, the current archiver uses an XML serialization which in this case means that each byte requires 40 bytes in serialized form. This is an known issue tracked as https://jira.primekey.se/browse/DSS-409 and currently scheduled for SignServer 3.3.1.

Regards,
    Markus

• Diego de Felice

Diego de Felice - 2012-01-25

See my "My contribution to SignServer archivers" post, it can be useful to solve this problem.