Menu

SignServer Behind Load Balancers

Help
2012-07-25
2013-02-26
  • Desmond Poh

Desmond Poh - 2012-07-25

Hi Everyone

I am currently seeking to deploy SignServer behind a couple of load balancers.

In the production environment database, there is a 'requestIP' column within the 'ArchiveData' table as created in the default SignServer data source.

I would like to inquire if there is any way to save the source IP of the client machine that pinged SignServer for a timestamp, instead of the load balancer's IP (as it currently stands) into this particular column. In other words, I am interested in the X-Forwarded-For HTTP header of the timestamp request.

If yes, how should I go about enabling it? Please note that the worker process already has its ARCHIVE property set to TRUE.

If no, what should I do to implement such a feature?

Best Regards
    Desmond

• Markus Kilås

Markus Kilås - 2012-07-25

Hi Desmond,

Currently default Archiver (called OldDatabaseArchiver) only uses the "real" IP address but having the option to take this value from the X-Forwarded-For HTTP header sounds like a good feature.

This behavior should probably be configurable so that those not running SignServer behind a proxy only uses the "real" IP address and those that have a proxy can use the header value if present.

The OldDatabaseArchiver gets the IP address from the RequestContext which is created in GenericProcessServlet.java. A new property RequestContext.X_FORWARDED_FOR could be created and put in the RequestContext to be available for the OldDatabaseArchiver. A new property of the OldDatabaseArchiver called for instance "USE_X_FORWARDED_FOR=true/false" could be used. See Test1Archiver.java for how to access properties from an Archiver.

You can contact PrimeKey at info@primekey.se if you want professional support. If you decide to do the implementation your self we are happy for code contributions but can not guarantee that they gets accepted.

Best regards,
    Markus