Menu

Why distinguishing file type on signing?

Jesus
2010-05-27
2013-02-26
  • Jesus

Jesus - 2010-05-27

Hello, 

I've just a simple conceptual question. I see that SignServer differences between file types when it comes to sign a file, e.g., ODF, PDF, XML, etc. My doubt is (and I suppose it has a simple question, but I can't find it), why is it necessary to distinguish between file formats? Or, from other perspective, why it is not valid to treat a file just like a bunch of binary data, sign it, and forget about anything else?

Thank you.

• Tomas Gustavsson

In general you can have a "binary blob" signer that sign just about anything. And we should probably create such a worker plug-in as well. BUT, you would generally not want to use that for signing PDF/ODF/OOXML/XML documents. Why? Simply because if we take PDF as an example the signature specification for PDF is specific for PDF and you have to create the *specific* PDF signature in order for PDF readers (currently only adobe has signature capability) to verify the PDF signature and display the verification result to the user. If you would use a "generic blob" signer to sign a PDF file, the PDF file would not even be possible to open as a PDF in any PDF readers.

The same goes for ODF/OOXML/XML etc. Most document types have specific technical specification how a digital signature should be applied to *this* specific document type.

Cheers,
    Tomas

• Jesus

Jesus - 2010-05-28

Ok, that makes perfect sense. Thank you very much.