Menu

Installing side4linux Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

2008-05-09
2013-04-08
  • Pierre Mathews

Pierre Mathews - 2008-05-09

Dear Forum...
    I am trying to install side4linux package Version 0.0.12 on my Ubuntu machine (8.04 Hardy Heron)

configure wants libgnome:

No package 'libgnome-2.0' found
    No package 'libgnomeui-2.0' found
    No package 'libglade-2.0' found

typing dpkg --get-selections I get:

[...]
    libgnome2-0                    install
    [...]
    libgnomeui-0                    install (Is this a typo??)
    [...]
    libglade2-0                    install
    [...]

How can I fix this? The suggestion asks :
    [...]
    Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables PACKAGE_CFLAGS
    and PACKAGE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.
    [...]

Wich file should I edit ? If it is a pc file, where should it be located ?

Thank you very much for your time.

Pierre Mathews pmathews@nakfaprecision.com

• davidrjburke

davidrjburke - 2008-05-15

Greetings Pierre,

I presume you have read and complied with 'setup GNOME build environment.txt' available in the top directory of the SIDE package? We suggest using the 'Synaptic' installer as it is more 'goof proof' then some.

The Build.sh package should run the 'auto tools' so fiddling with any config type files should not be necessary.

You may not have the proper libraries loaded using 'dpkg' so the linker cannot find them.

Having said all of the above I must admit that we are currently using Ubuntu 7.10 and Debian 4.0R2 'Etch', so we may have a problem here!

Let me know how you get on, have you used side4linux before? If not then welcome!

Best wishes in code cutting,

David Burke, Adelaide, May 15 2008.

• Pierre Mathews

Pierre Mathews - 2008-05-20

Dear David,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Ubuntu 8.04 ended up being a bit too early for me to use. I did like the bells and whistles but I'll have to stick to 7.10 for a while until 8.04 becomes stable (or more stable than me :-).

After your reply, I ended up gathering all the '.txt' files in one text file and tried to sort what I should read and do first. I read it all and indexed it (added a table of content with numbers to find myself...). and I added a few comments as apt-get lines to use in Ubuntu 7.10 that I found solved some dependency booboos. I can email that text file if you think it might be useful to you.

So side4linux compiled and installed. I tried then for the PCB and gEDA part. In my ignorance, I didn't know they were complete installs with PCB and gschem etc. I had already installed those... PCB appeared unaffected but gschem now showed up with double menus... I had Version 20070626 and the SIDE package has the version 20080127. I'll be trying to fix those things up so they work properly.

I did read that there was a DVD available. But I am completely lost as to where to get it. I think I may need more the support than the DVD, I'll have to admit. But it would be handy if I had to reinstall all of this.

Since I do have several micro-controller projects to do, I am sure I'll have more questions for sure. Simple ones I am certain.

I'll write back as soon as I have fixed my PCB and gschem programs. They are the main ones I use for my everyday work.

Pierre Mathews
        pmathews@nakfaprecision.com
        peter5v1@yahoo.ca

• Pierre Mathews

Pierre Mathews - 2008-05-20

Dear David,

I installed both gschem and PCB. I reinstalled twice side4linux with the PCB. I know I must have forgotten something in the PATH stuff, but I don't have a clue how to do it.

I guess I better use points :-)

1) side4linux only starts as long as enter ./side4linux in the /opt/Side/bin directory, otherwise it tells me that it cannot find it. How can I fix this? Should I do something with some PATH variable somewhere?

2) The side4linux window opens, but I can't seem to maximize it. It looks like it already thinks it is at its maximum. How can I fix this ?

3) Until now, I haven't been able to get gschem going. The following programs in the /opt/Side/geda/bin directory seem to have the same setup mistake (my mistake I am sure).

gattrib                      
      gnetlist
      gschlas
      gsymcheck
      gschem

I get this : error while loading shared libraries: libgeda.so.33: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

How can I fix my mistake?

4)Funny thing, in avrsim 0.0.1, in the Help:About window, doesn't want to close with the close button...It also happens in other tools like Bmach2d.

5)In avrsim, the status numbers (following I, T, H S etc.) are in small boxes, too small to see the numbers. I really would like to use this tool, it looks really great ! More on this later !

6) I keep getting "In function 'ProjectFiles, saveProjectToFile' Couldn't save project file!" when I close a project. I assume this my setup mistake. I wish I knew what to do to fix it. Must be the same as when PCB tells me it can't save its backup file.

7) In projects that have text files, it would be nice if double clicking on the file names would open the in the tabs on the right.

I have to go and read the html help file. I should be able to find a simple HTML editor somewhere and some stuff...:-)

Thank for your time.

Pierre Mathews
      pmathews@nakfaprecision.com

• davidrjburke

davidrjburke - 2008-06-06

Greetings Pierre,

In answer to your 'Points' made in the last post,

Answer (1/2): In the file 'INSTALL.txt' ( Point 11 ) it states to add a 'Launcher'
      to your Desktop pointing to::      /opt/Side/bin/side4linux M

Notice the 'M' option which 'Maximizes' the startup window.

Answer (3): You may not have some library loaded that is needed to build 'libGeda'
      refer to the file 'InstalInstructions.txt' for the needed libraries.
      Note we need the 'dev' packages because we need the header files to build the programs
      as against just running them.

Try using the 'BuildGeda.sh' build script which only builds 'Geda' and read the error
      messages generated to gather an idea on what library is not yet installed on your
      system. The output should tell you if 'libGeda' is found.

Once you can build Geda go back and run the full 'Build.sh' script from the PCBS
      tarball again and all should be well. Once you have got Geda and Pcb working remove
      the old copies that come with Ubuntu if they are clashing with the PCBS package.

Answer ( 4/5): Yep, these programs will be upgraded when people stop using GTK 2.8
      ( Debian Etch mainly, I will give them until end 2008 ) then we will use libGlade.

Would be good if more people would use 'avrsim' and report their critique, chips they
      need emulated, bugs, wishlist etc. Avrsim was written to get our machine controller
      working using the ATmega128. We will also add the ATtiny13 in the near future as we
      need it for the UAV engines that we make.

I will add user preferences once the tools are upgraded so that sizes can be changed.
      I think the status numbers (following I, T, H S etc.) are only 0 or 1 anyway ??
      ( just flags, set = 1 or unset = 0 ) Try 'Modify>Modify Flags' from the Main Menu.

If you want to program your AVR project through the programmer 'dbavrprog' then make
      a very basic project with the chip of your choice ( including crystal oscillator if
      the chip supports one ) and send us a working sample, we will not return it but we
      will test it and then integrate the chip into the simulator and the programmer along
      with any useful improvements that you suggest. We would then email you the upgraded
      tools so that you can test them, they will then be put into the next revision of the
      IDE for the use of others.

Answer (6) The IDE is an 'Integrated' development environment and it needs a reference
      point, hence your problems about 'Paths' etc. Add the 'Launcher' to your desktop
      and try again or, launch the IDE from a terminal and read the background error messages.

To do this move into the 'src' folder of the IDE in the downloaded package

--/SIDE/TOOLS/SIDEtools/GNOMEC/side4linux/src

and in a terminal type ./side4linux

This should bring the IDE up locally in 'un-maximized' mode so that you can read the
      terminal messages behind it. We do this for debug purposes.

I presume you have installed the '.side-dir-config' directory in your 'home' directory
      if not read 'InstallInstructions.txt' Point-1

So the IDE needs a starting point and it needs some info on the actual user, it
      then works out where everything should go and where to fetch them back from.
      If this reference is wrong then it may not have permission to write, so it fails.

Answer (7): Do you mean in the 'File Open' dialog launched from clicking the 'TXT'
      Toolbutton? Or from the 'Project File Explorer Tree? It could be good in the Explorer
      for 'ASM' files but I am not sure about it's benefit in 'C' programs as there is the
      'filename.c' file and the 'filename.h' file so which would we open?
      More feedback needed here!

---- General babble next,

On the DVD, the link "Adelaide Aeromotive Pty. Ltd." on the front page of the website
      points to a graphic holding our company's email address. The DVD is usually supplied
      to those needing items extra than the IDE such as 'C' toolchains for the AVR/ARM,
      embedded 'C' coding, extra help tutorials, demos etc. So contact the company if you
      have a need for these but beware, we charge a 'service fee' of one hour at the current
      company rate for a year's support, this includes airmail of the disc. We do not supply
      the disc separately because it needs some support, even for 'experts'. More detail is
      usually kept in the file 'DocFormats.txt'. We are not a software or training company
      but we see the need for things of this kind and produce them mainly for our own use
      and that of our contractors. As a company we feel that the SourceForge site and the
      DVD fulfill our commitments under the GPLv3 and also to the 'Open Source Movement'.

You mentioned something about using APT-GET in an earlier post, we only refer to
      'Package Managers' mainly because different Distributions have different ways of
      packaging their stuff and we try to provide 'Distribution neutral software' and then
      leave it up to the user to roll it to suit themselves. But, as you have provided a
      contact mail address I guess other users of Ubuntu will be pleased to get your scripts.
      We use Ubuntu only to kept the IDE current and then use Debian Stable for real day to
      day stuff ( I refer to Ubuntu as 'Debian Unstable' ;)

You are correct about the many text files provided, they can be very confusing to a
      first time user but the IDE can be used in many different ways and so there is usually
      no simple way out. So being the cowards that we are, we just let the packaging script
      blindly copy them to the top directory of the tarball!

By the way, Version 0.1.0 is released 12 June 2008

David Burke.

• Pierre Mathews

Pierre Mathews - 2008-06-09

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Concerning 1/2:

I have not tried the M option. I had stopped trying after reading somewhere that I had to have a higher resolution than 1024 x768 for it to work properly (My limit on this old T23 thinkpad). I'll add to my list of things to try!

Concerning 3: Noted...

I uninstalled and reinstalled since I was in a rush to produce a quote for a client and I needed gschem and PCB running properly. I would like your setup since it provides an up to date gEDA suite. It will have to wait until I get the hang of installing your software. I will have to put on my wish list an extra computer that I can toy with without fear of loosing any data. Learning how to back up automatically and restore has yet been another learning adventure. Those darn hidden configuration files makes it hard to do it quickly until I learn a better way of backing up data and project files faster.

Concerning 4/5:

I have only learned a bit of Perl and have wakened up my awesome appetite for assembler (AVR this time :-). C will have to wait until I get a project that needs to be written with that language. I would love to help write some code, even tho you know by now I am on a steep learning curve. A regular occurrence with me...

Wine on Ubuntu has a weird flavor and I am trying to avoid this kind of extra complexities that come with having to deal with software compiled for different platforms. Since I am trying to write some assembler, if I could use avrsim just by itself that would help. I got a grab of an AVR assembler and a dissambler and they seem to be working properly (for my needs anyway). A simulator would be a plus until I can obtain a JTAG or any other debug function to run and test the code directly on the prototype target. I will be using either a ATmega168 or ATmega165 (for JTAG). Any clue how to install avrsim by itself would be very appreciated :-)

Our projects have to work with external an I2C RTC and external EEPROM memory using preferably an external A/D. I might start with something using the internal A/D to start. Vacation time is coming soon so I doubt anything can be assembled until September. But the suggestion is noted and I will see what can be done about sending you working samples for tests.

Concerning 6 : Noted. Thanks...

Concerning 7 : This is my personal thinking, I haven't done enough programming to know better for now, but when I work, I end up doing the following quite often: having gschem, PCB, a terminal window or two and a file browser (krusader these days) opened.

Once the drawing is done, the resulting netlist has to be checked, the diagram and/or the netlist adjusted so PCB can do its Ratnets properly. Somewhere in there, new or modified footprints are needed. Anything in the menu that opens texts files for editing or other processing, or speeds up the use of terminal windows will help me. if I could learn how to include some terminal commands in the menus, that would help. Terminal programs to test netlist and gschem elements. Anything in there, in the same thinking, to assemble/disassemble written or imported HEX files would be great. Enough said I think :-)

Spare time permitting, also a Perl program to write footprint files for PCB. Too often, the provided footprint files need to be modified or new ones added and to base them according on ED-7303B. While this is doable with PCB itself, a Perl script can come up with a new files faster with only the shape and basic distances information. Less of a fight with the mouse :-)

Concerning the General babble :-)

1)How much is a service fee of an hour ?

2)When can I send the text file for others to see ?

3)Noted (Tarball files) :-)

4)Ditto on the recent release. One day at a time :-)

David Burke.

• davidrjburke

davidrjburke - 2008-06-13

Greetings Pierre,

I note your comments about enhancements to the IDE, there are certainly some interesting ideas there so I will add them to the 'wishlist' however things like checking of the netlist etc. are already present as 'toolbuttons' that run the Guile scripts provided.

Could be correct about the video resolution, I think 1024 by 900 is the minimum ( no doubt others will prove me wrong on this point! :-)

We do not support krusader because it is not Gnome which is what we use
      ( nothing wrong with KDE as such! :-)

It is up to others to email you as regards scripts.

If you read the 'guidelines' I am not permitted to discuss payment options here ( our Company's rules regarding this site, not SourceForge's ). Contact me via the Company's email as suggested for the current hourly rate of our Company, this ensures that all Company corespondence is recorded as per Company policy.

Your suggestion to write Perl scripts to create footprints would be better as commandline C programs that can then be integrated into the IDE. I will assist if asked, and your work will be acknowledged in the 'credits' of the 'About Box', The C language is easy to learn, see the CLC section for getting started and buy the suggested book, it is very cheap!

What you are currently doing with terminals etc. works great but as your projects become more advanced they become less maintainable if left for a long period of time or you start adding C toolchains and extra libraries ( trust me on this! ). This all becomes too hard when you try to add extra staff/contributors etc. I have also watched major open source projects collapse because of the chaotic development style used ( often with very poor documentation ). Many promising projects are therefore lost! This is very serious when it is a commercial project where an employee leaves and someone else has to pick up the pieces without any help from the originator/s. So for us the idea of an IDE that supports all facets of an embedded project was our solution to the chaos theory.

This thread is now closed, start another if anyone has something to discuss about side4linux.

David Burke.