"no calendar available" message

Jeremy
2006-06-20
2013-04-11
  • Jeremy

Jeremy - 2006-06-20

I can see calendars listed in the left hand pane (and even create new calendars), but when I select "new appointment" I get the following message:

"There is no calendar available for creating events and meetings"

Seems like a big enough bug that I'm wondering if this has to do with the installer and not evolution itself?  But I have no idea...

• glenn

glenn - 2006-06-21

I have the same problem. I can create address books, but not add items to them. I cannot add notes, tasks or appointments either. Mail seems to work, but nothing from the Personal Information Manager side of it.

• Doug

Doug - 2006-06-21

Same problem here.

Mail works fine, but I can't do anything on the Calendar, Contacts, Memos, and Tasks.

If I try to add an event to the Calendar, evolution crashes.  I do see an Alarms window pop up just before it crashes.

I first installed the original "evolution-win32.exe" file that was available.  When I noticed that there was an update (2.6.2-3) I installed that, thinking it would be better.  However, mail is the only thing that is working.  I can see and send/receive email like I could before.  All of my Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks data that I had set up there is gone (or at least not visible to evolution).  I can't import my old data or anything, and just keep getting the "no calendar available" messages.  My old contacts .db file and calendar .ics files are still on disk, but I can't figure out how evolution reads them in.

One thing I did notice:

When I ran the original version, there were several processes in the Task manager that appeared when I started evolution:  evolution.exe (can't remember if there was a version number), gconfd-2.exe, bonobo-activation-server.exe, evolution-exchange-storage.exe, evolution-alarm-notify.exe, evolution-data-server.exe, as far as I can remember.

Now, with 2.6.2-3, I only see processes for bonobo-activation-server, evolution-2.6, and gconfd-2.  The other ones don't show up.

• Doug

Doug - 2006-06-21

As a follow up, here's what I see on the command line (after getting rid of the @echo off line in step2.cmd), after all the path stuff:

=======

C:\Program Files\Evolution>echo Yes, I know this takes a while. Sorry.
      Yes, I know this takes a while. Sorry.

C:\Program Files\Evolution>"C:\Program Files\Evolut~1\bin\evolution-2.6.exe"

(evolution-2.6:2492): evolution-shell-WARNING **: Cannot activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_
      Evolution_Exchange_Component:2.6': Couldn't spawn a new process:Failed to execut
      e child process (Invalid argument)

(evolution-2.6:2492): Gdk-WARNING **: gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard f
      ailed: Invalid window handle.

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-WARNING **: e-cal.c:1098: Could not activate calen
      dar factory (OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Exchange_Connector_CalFactory:1.2)

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-WARNING **: e-cal.c:1098: Could not activate calen
      dar factory (OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_DataServer_CalFactory:1.2)

dar factory (OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Exchange_Connector_CalFactory:1.2)

dar factory (OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_DataServer_CalFactory:1.2)
      calendar-gui-Message: launch_alarm_daemon_cb(): Couldn't spawn a new process:Fai
      led to execute child process (Invalid argument)

=======

Whenever I do something that brings up the "no calendar available" message, OR when I switch over to the Calendars page in Evolution, I get the same 4 warnings above that have to do with e-cal.c on line 1098.

=======

When I go to add an event to the calendar, I get the following:

(evolution-2.6:2492): calendar-gui-CRITICAL **: e_cal_model_create_component_wit
      h_defaults: assertion `priv->clients != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_set_dtstart: assertio
      n `priv->icalcomp != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_set_dtend: assertion
      `priv->icalcomp != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_set_transparency: ass
      ertion `priv->icalcomp != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_set_categories: asser
      tion `priv->icalcomp != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_commit_sequence: asse
      rtion `priv->icalcomp != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): calendar-gui-CRITICAL **: e_comp_editor_registry_find: ass
      ertion `uid != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): libebook-WARNING **: e_book_construct: Could not obtain a
      handle to the Personal Addressbook Server with IID `OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Excha
      nge_Connector_BookFactory:1.2'

handle to the Personal Addressbook Server with IID `OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_DataS
      erver_BookFactory:1.2'

(evolution-2.6:2492): libebook-CRITICAL **: file e-book.c: line 2729: assertion
      `book && E_IS_BOOK (book)' failed

handle to the Personal Addressbook Server with IID `OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Excha

handle to the Personal Addressbook Server with IID `OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_DataS

(evolution-2.6:2492): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_set_valist: property `wi
      dth' of object class `GtkTreeViewColumn' is not writable

(evolution-2.6:2492): Gtk-WARNING **: A floating object was finalized. This mean
      s that someone
      called g_object_unref() on an object that had only a floating
      reference; the initial floating reference is not owned by anyone
      and must be removed with gtk_object_sink() after a normal
      reference is obtained with g_object_ref().

(evolution-2.6:2492): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OB
      JECT (object)' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_object_sink: assertion `GTK_IS_OBJECT
      (object)' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): calendar-gui-CRITICAL **: comp_editor_append_page: asserti
      on `page != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(evolution-2.6:2492): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion
      `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_get_vtype: assertion
      calendar-gui-Message: make_title_from_comp(): Cannot handle object of type 0

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_get_vtype: assertion

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_get_uid: assertion `p
      riv->icalcomp != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_get_summary: assertio

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_get_dtstart: assertio

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_get_dtend: assertion

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_get_due: assertion `p
      riv->icalcomp != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_get_completed: assert
      ion `priv->icalcomp != NULL' failed

(evolution-2.6:2492): libecal-CRITICAL **: e_cal_component_get_dtstart: assertio

• Jeremy

Jeremy - 2006-06-21

The 2.6.2-4 release fixed this problem for me...

• Marcos Pinto

Marcos Pinto - 2006-06-21

Jeremy,
        Great to hear! :)  Hopefully everyone else will also be fixed.
        Thanks,
        Mark

• Doug

Doug - 2006-06-21

Seems to work for me too!  Thank you.

• Marcos Pinto

Marcos Pinto - 2006-06-21

Success! ;)

• Erik Vigmostad

Erik Vigmostad - 2006-06-21

Didn't help me.  Same: long time then an error box.  This time it has data in it, but no useful information.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks