Menu

MSI installation

2006-06-20
2013-04-11
  • Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke - 2006-06-20

Would it be possible to have Evolution packaged as an MSI instead of an EXE so that it can be distributed via Group Policy, etc?

• Marcos Pinto

Marcos Pinto - 2006-06-20

Andrew,
      Good point.  I'll look into it after the dust settles a bit.

• Alex Earl

Alex Earl - 2006-06-23

You could also use something open source like NSIS, a fantastic installer creation application. I use it for all my installers at work because it is simple to use, it works great, its open source and it has extensibility, something I can't say for MSI.

• Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke - 2006-06-25

Can NSIS create an MSI package though? The point of MSIs (love them or hate them), other than that they are the standard for Windows, is that they can be deployed via Group Policies, MS SMS, or other similar tools.

Installers that are executables can't be deployed without a lot of extra work and as such would sink any chance of using Evolution in most business environments. :-(

• Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke - 2006-06-20

I'd recommend using MakeMSI.

If you have a list of exactly what steps are done during installation I may be able to create an initial set of configurations for MakeMSI as a base to start from.

• Marcos Pinto

Marcos Pinto - 2006-06-20

Thanks for the offer, but I've already started working on it.  Almost done, actually :)  I'll post it up when finished.  Thanks!

• Marcos Pinto

Marcos Pinto - 2006-06-21

MSI installer released as 2.6.2-4.  FYI