Getting 7-zip to work

Help
2013-07-29
2013-08-01
  • microtavor5

microtavor5 - 2013-07-29

So after downloading and installing 7-zip (7z 9.20, win x64) I am unable to right click on a file (such as a .zip) and open it with 7-zip, the option to open the archive is not there, now if I really wanted to I could navigate to the file by opening the 7-zip program through my start menu and navigate to the file but that can get to be a bit of a hassle. Is there something in the settings I am missing? Any help would be appreciated.

• Shell

Shell - 2013-07-30

You can manually add file associations. Start 7-Zip File Manager, open Tools -> Options... menu, then click on every archive type you want to open with 7-Zip and press the "+" button. (Personally, I have two such buttons, but I'm using 7-Zip 9.30 alpha).

Please note that you will need administrator rights to do that. The very next version, 7-Zip 9.21, and all above, do not require any special privileges unless you want to make an association for all users.

Last edit: Shell 2013-07-30
    • microtavor5

microtavor5 - 2013-07-31

Ok thanks, however that only solves half my problem It is now set to open all of the types it can but I can't open other archive types like .jar files. If I recall correctly there used to be and option in the right click menu to "7-zip open archive" which worked for just about any archive I could get my hands on but that is no longer the case...

• Shell

Shell - 2013-07-31

To solve the problem reliably, you may need to re-install 7-Zip, as fernando suggested. However, if you are running Windows, you may register file types manually in the Registry. You may look how other extensions are registered:
        1) open Registry Editor and find a key, say, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.7z;
        2) find the class under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT that .7z points to (say, 7zfile);
        3) analyze the subkeys and properties of those classes.
        Now you may create two classes of your own (say, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jar and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile) with the same (or, where appropriate, your own) fields. Alternatively, just make .jar pointing at the same class .7z does.

Note that you must act as an administrator in order to use Registry Editor. Please, also keep in mind that improper editing of the registry can crash your system.

Last edit: Shell 2013-07-31
  • microtavor5

microtavor5 - 2013-07-30

[re wrote as reply, deleted double post to avoid spam]

Last edit: microtavor5 2013-07-31
  • fernando

fernando - 2013-07-31

first: see context menu options at tools > options | 7-zip
    second: search for posts about context menu; probably have need to install as administrator or 32-bit x86 version or both or...

• microtavor5

microtavor5 - 2013-07-31

Again, that works on the 7-zip right-click menu but it doesn't work on the windows explorer right-click menu, I tried searching but I can't find anything that helps me.
      (as clarification I put a screen capture of what I am trying to get, just remember this is in windows explorer not 7-zip)

• fernando

fernando - 2013-08-01

OK...
    you have desired context menu entries only in 7-Zip File Manager,
    not in Windows Explorer.

Did you set options at
    tools > options | 7-zip
    while logged in as Administrator?

If yes, you can try...
    (I do not use x64 Windows OS... caveat lector)

See file attached to this forum post "7-zip.reg.txt".

Open in text editor (e.g., Notepad) verify or correct the path to the file "7-zip.dll" on your system. I wrote conventional path for x64 OS. Then save as a .REG file, right-click and merge. You MUST be Administrator.

• microtavor5

microtavor5 - 2013-08-01

I'm trying to get the context menu for 7-zip in to the context menu for windows explorer, I already have it set up for in 7-zip, I don't want to have to open 7-zip to open an archive file like a .jar that can not be set as a default for 7-zip but can still be opened by it. A little while back I had an older edtion of 7-zip were this was default.