Menu

How can I recover deleted archives that I can see in the recycle bin inside 7z?

Help
2024-01-18
2024-01-22
  • Chris Griffin

Chris Griffin - 2024-01-18

Hi all,
    I accidentally deleted some files I had inside of archives in 7zip.. I can't see them in my windows 11 recycle bin but if I open up the root folder in 7z of the drive, I can see a recycle bin and I can see them inside of it.. but there is no restore feature in the software.. If I right click on a file, it says "restore" but when I click it, nothing happens.. I have tried extracting and moving the files back out of the recycle bin but I cannot open them when they show up.. If it's a JPEG file, it just says "windows does not support this format".. I assume it has to do with the encryption or compression that the file underwent when I added it to the archive... How do I get my files back? any help is appreciated.

Here is what i can see when I open 7z and go to the root drive folder.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2024-01-18

If you delete file inside archive, 7-zip rewrites whole archive without these files.
    You can't get these files in temp folder, because 7-Zip doesn't unpack deleted files from archive.
    Sometimes you can get deleted old version of whole archive. But it requires special tool that recovers deleted files from NTFS volume.

• Chris Griffin

Chris Griffin - 2024-01-18

Hey Igor, thanks for the reply. How about if I deleted an entire Archive in 7z? I have a whole archive that I just clicked "delete" on inside 7z and I can see it in my recycle bin in 7z when I open it, but I don't have a "restore" function. What tool do I need?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2024-01-19

If archive is not open, then 7-Zip uses recycle bin.
    Delete some file in Explorer and delete some file in 7-Zip, and look the difference.

• Chris Griffin

Chris Griffin - 2024-01-20

Hey Igor,
      Here is a screen clip of my regular recycle bin and the 7z recycle bin inside of the SSD drive that I had my archives deleted from. There is nothing in the regular windows bin. I'm not sure how to restore a full archive from the 7zip recycle bin though.

• PopuriO2

PopuriO2 - 2024-01-22

If the file system is NTFS, the folder is shown as "$RECYCLE.BIN".
    If the file system is FAT, the folder is shown as "RECYCLER" or "RECYCLED".