Menu

Possible to remove recent folders in Extract To: dialog box?

Help
2017-03-09
2024-03-21
  • Manfred Huether

Manfred Huether - 2017-03-09

Good Afternoon, good day to you. This is my first post and I am not a native english speaker; so I hope I ask my question correctly.

Each time I select a folder to extract to in the dialog using the "..." button, that folder location is saved for later use. That list grows and grows; some folder locations don't extist anymore. I'd like to remove some (or all) those folder locations to keep the list small, unfortunately I didn't find a solution. Can this be achived?

Thanks very much!

• IDDQDesnik

IDDQDesnik - 2017-03-10

Try to clear "CopyHistory" and "FolderHistory" on registry path [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\7-Zip\FM]

Last edit: IDDQDesnik 2017-03-10
  • Manfred Huether

Manfred Huether - 2017-03-10

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunatley clearing "FolderHistory" did not work. I don't see "CopyHistory" in that path, and searching the entire registry for it was unsuccessful. That list must be somewhere as it reappears even after uninstalling and reinstalling the application This is on Win 8.1 64-bit and 7-Zip 16.04 64-bit..

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2017-03-10

Registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\7-Zip\Extraction\
    PathHistory

• Andrew Schmidt

Andrew Schmidt - 2024-03-15

Igor - I am using Windows 11 and don't see some of the keys using REGEDIT that have been suggested in this 7 year old discussion, but of course, those ideas were from Windows 8 and 10 days. Do you, or anyone, have the Windows 11 version of the keys to delete to get rid of all these archive paths in the drop down list as been discussed now?

• Andrew Schmidt

Andrew Schmidt - 2024-03-15

I should have noted I am using 7-ZIP 22.01 (x64) dated 7/15/2022.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2024-03-15

7-zip still uses same keys.

• Manfred Huether

Manfred Huether - 2017-03-10

A key/subkey named "PathHistory" does also not exist in the entire registry. This is puzzling, to say the least. Even though HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\7-Zip\Extraction\PathHistory does not extist, deleting any trace to 7-Zip in the registry after deinstalling the application found the list empty after a reinstall. But that's not really a solution. Why can't clearing a folder history not be part of regular maintenance in 7-Zips 'Settings'? Why is clearing this list - arguably - hidden from users?

• xx xxx

xx xxx - 2024-03-21

agree

Why clearing folder history cannot be part of 7-zip ?