Base directory for compression?

Help
Anonymous
2005-01-15
2012-12-07
  • Anonymous - 2005-01-15

Hi,
    I want to create an automated filelist-based backup script that is called like this:
    7za a -t7z -mx=7 backup.1.7z @filelist

The filelist looks like this:
    C:\boot.ini
    C:\Tools\adminftp.exe
    C:\Tools\base64.exe
    C:\Tools\subdir\morefiles

Now some of the files will be compressed into the archive's root folder, some get in their correct subfolders. It seems all files from C:\ and C:\Tools are in the root folder and only the C:\Tools\subdir\* files get into the subdir\ folder of the archive. So the first two directory levels will be merged into one.

What's going on there? Where can I set the base directory that all directory structure information will be stored relative to? I need the exact directory structure in the archive or things will be messed up.

I'm using 7zip 4.14 beta, because 3.13 doesn't even accept absolute pathnames in the filelist, which I also need for my application.

Hope anyone can help me.
    --Yves

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2005-01-20

The only way now. to change current folder to C:\ and use relative paths:
      boot.ini
      Tools\adminftp.exe
      Tools\base64.exe
      Tools\subdir\morefiles

• Bhavbhuti Nathwani

Hi

But my list file contains file both from C:\ and D:\ and how do I change the directory when I am running 7z.exe from VFP?  There is no batch file to do that just a class I am using

Please advise.

• Anonymous - 2005-01-22

Is there a chance future 7zip versions can do this with absolute pathnames? I like the 'patch' way to provide a number of directory levels to trim from the beginning as a cmdline parameter. This could work with relatively little work. I could try to create a patch to the 7zip sources when I find some time for it. :)

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2005-01-22

Later. Imho now it's not most important task.

• Anonymous - 2005-01-22

Now I have another problem with it. I created a listfile with all relative paths to root and changed to the root dir before. But 7za copies all files multiple times into the archive. So the file c:\bin\abc\file can be found at these locations in the archive:
      \file
      \abc\file
      \bin\abc\file
      I consider this a bug, FYI. Hope it gets fixed in a future version.

Also it compresses all files in an indefinite order whereas the filelist contains a sorted list of files and directories.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2005-01-22

1) don't use -r
        2) 7-Zip resorts to increase compression ratio

• Anonymous - 2005-01-22

OK, all back. I still used "\path\file" names instead of "path\file" names. This is bad... OK, fixed now and it works fine.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks