ZIP Files with paths on 64 bit Win 7

Help
Ben Postma
2010-01-12
2013-07-23
  • Ben Postma

Ben Postma - 2010-01-12

Hi, I am running Windows 7 Ultiamte 64 bits, using 64-bit 7-Zip version 4.65.  I have used 7-Zip in the past no problems and told people how great it is. BUT: If you open a ZIP file that has a path in it and follow the path through the ZIP, the 7-ZIP path bar shows this:

C:\Users\vandebe\AppData\Local\Temp\petro-sim Crash Report.zip\C:\DOCUME~1\bellosg\LOCALS~1\Temp\

(The first piece is the name of the zip file, the second piece is the path inside the zip file).

Ok that may be fine, but if you double click on a file in 7-ZIP the application that opens up (regardless of whether its a png or txt file) always tells you it cant find the file. If I double click on an XML file for example I get this from Internet Explorer:

Cannot fine 'file:///C:/Users/vandebe/AppData/Local/Temp/7zO2F43.tmp/petro-sim.xml'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.

If I double click on a PNG file for example I can see the PNG name (but not path) in the application, but it tells me the file does not exist or has been deleted etc.

What!?! It looks like 7-Zip gets confused about what temporary directory it uses to extract files, or passes the wrong path to other applications or something.

I can see no option in 7-Zip to fix this and double clicking on files from the flat view does the same thing. And this is on a new clean machine btw.

What is the solution? Use jZip, and hopefully it wont have the same flaw?

• Ben Postma

Ben Postma - 2010-01-12

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not fix this. Installing the 32-bit version or running it in XP compatibility mode also does not work around this.

• Ben Postma

Ben Postma - 2010-01-12

MM jZip doe snot have this problem. So I guess I can use it as a workaround.

• F. Eugene

F. Eugene - 2013-07-23

I also have this problem! I've been working around it for at least a year! Please diagnose and fix!

I'm using the 64-bit version of 7zip 9.20, on Windows 7 (Version 6.1.7601) 64-bit.

I just got a new machine, and this problem was happening on my old machine, and then immediately upon installation it started happening on the new machine.

Very often (but not always!!) when I try to double-click an .xml file in 7zip (to view externally with associated program Internet Explorer [9.0.8112.16421]), IE says:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
    •Internet connectivity has been lost.
    •The website is temporarily unavailable.
    •The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    •The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    •There might be a typing error in the address.
    •If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds:
    1.Click the Favorites button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages):
    1.Press Alt, click File, and then click Work Offline.
    2.Click the Favorites button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

And the address bar in IE says something like C:\Users\geneg\AppData\Local\Temp\7zOBBE5.tmp\PARALLEL_Result.xml .

And if I try to browse to that folder location (ie, 7zOBBE5.tmp), Windows Explorer gives me an error message saying "Windows cannot find 'C:...7zOBBE5.tmp'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks