recover some small files from *.7z.tmp

Help
courtney
2013-12-11
2013-12-15
  • courtney

courtney - 2013-12-11

Greetings all. I recently was formatting my harddrive and decided to compress all my files into one archive, save it on my other internal hard drive and format.

After hte format was complete, I realized that the file had infact not finished. It seems that a lot of it did as the 7z file is 5.1gb. I'd like to extract some small files from it (most less than 100kb). Is there a way I can get in and get some of the files out?

I tried renaming it to *.7z. No luck.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-12-12

open
    http://www.7-zip.org/support.html
    type in search box:
    recover 7z archive
    and read 2013's posts.

• courtney

courtney - 2013-12-15

Thanks for your response man. I had searched and had come across that post.

The original file bad.7z.tmp was 5gb
      I created a fix.ISO file that was about 14gb

I split the bad.7z.tmp into 2 parts with the 32b file being the smallest part.

I split the ISO into 3 parts 32 32-5gb and the rest

I then extracted the file that was left. I have fix.iso on my hard drive now. When I try to get in it with 7z I get error "can not open fix.iso as an archive"

I even tried to mount the iso and to open the iso both giving me an error.

I read that I have to use a parser file to extract the data. That's the part that I got lost at. I looked through google for a good parser, but couldn't find any. I did however find the file signature of my file in question. Could you tell me what I need to do to parse my files out?

I can use ubuntu linux or windows 7 so whatever works best let me know

Last edit: courtney 2013-12-15
  • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-12-15

Try 7-Zip 9.32 alpha. It supports "Parser" mode via context menu "Open archive > #".
    7-Zip's parser supports only archive types (zip, rar, and so on). It doesn't parse jpg, mp3 and so on.
    Maybe there are more smart parsers.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks