Jay Libove - 2017-08-16

I've lately seen "cannot complete the extraction" from Windows 10's built-in ZIP functionality (in Windows Explorer.exe) trying to open a 7-ZIP Created ZIP file which is NOT encrypted.
Past forum discussions which mention "cannot complete the extraction" all seem to relate to ZIP files which DO have encryption.

I tested this on a couple of Windows 10 machines and an older Windows 7 virtual machine. Older .ZIP files created by 7-ZIP can be opened by Windows (7 and 10) built-in ZIP functionality; newer ones cannot.
The UNIX "file" command interestingly shows this:

C:\Temp>file .zip
RECENT.zip:                 Zip archive data, at least v6.3 to extract
OLDER.zip:                  Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract

So it seems that something in 7-ZIP has changed in the past couple of months maybe, resulting in it now creating files - even UNencrypted - which Windows' built-in ZIP functionality cannot extract :-(

Hm. Digging deeper, I think somehow my 7-ZIP switched to LZMA by default (which is known to not work with Windows' built-in ZIP functionality).
Could be a fat-finger on my part.

To the developer, please just make sure that the default options are set for compatibility, leaving it to the user to choose "better" (but less compatible) options when needs must.

thanks,