Include only files with the archive bit set

Help
2004-11-19
2018-03-30
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

Sorry that this is probably such an obvious question.
    I want to use 7-Zip to do incremental backups, to include only files that have the archive bit set, both using the GUI and the command line interface. I have been using Win-Zip to do this and want to use 7-Zip instead.

Thanks,

Garry.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2004-11-20

7-zip can't do it now. But 7-zip has other incremental archiving features. Read -u switch description.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi.

I have looked at that but unfortunatly I would have to change my rolling backup system a lot to make it work. Are there any plans to include this as an added feature in a future release?

Thanks a lot for your time,

Regards,

Garry.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2004-11-20

Maybe it will be, but I can't say when.

• Nobody/Anonymous

As great as 7z is (I'm getting files 1/2 the size of zip files), I also can't use it due to lacking the feature of only backing up file with the archive bit set.  I am required to keep snapshots of my data once daily.  I do full backups twice a week, and incrementals all other days.  I just don't have the space to store full backups for every day and can't overwrite data with the -u (update) option. 

Until this option is implemented, I think there may be a solution (although I haven't tried it yet).  I can continue to make zip backups, then call IsArc from my script, which can convert zips to 7z's with the -cv command line option.  You might want to try this too Garry. 

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hmm...can't seem to log in to SF for some reason right now...

I haven't finished it yet but I've been toying with a VBscript that creates a text file list of all files I want to back up (archive bit, change date, etc.).

I then feed that file into 7zip for the backup, when it's done & do a test on the .7z file, list the contents & compare against the source text file (with messages about any files not backed up), do a size/time comparisons between source list and .7z contents 9with messages about files changed during backup), then finish with resetting the archive bit of all backed up files.

It's a lot of 'junk' surrounding 7zip bit does what I need.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I've thought about a VBscript also, although I wasn't thinking of something quite so complex.  I was just thinking about listing the backup files in a text file and running 7zip and that's it.  But now I've run into another problem.  I backup data from several drives (mostly network) into one zip file, and it seems like there is no way to tell 7z absolute paths of the files you want to backup.

• Nicole Neals

Nicole Neals - 2018-03-30

Hi Igor, I realize this is a long shot 10+ years later but do you have any plans to include checked/unchecked file archive attributes to the options for 7 zip? (Or, has it already been done? Can't seem to find any updates including it). It would be very helpful to be able to add/compress only files with the archive attribute set (with an additional option to then turn off the archive attribute)? Similar to robocopy or xcopy /A and /M options (but those can't zip, and completely lack what 7z offers). I'm finding myself using robocopy and then 7z, which ends up taking much longer than it should. Thanks in advance!