I am trying to achieve the same compression ratio from command line that i achieve when using the GUI (7z, LZMA, Ultra-Compression - using default values in 7zip version 9.17 beta).
i tried several variation, one of which is:
7z a -t7z -mx9 -ms=30f10m -mhc=on -r c:\temp\line.7z "d:\xxx\yyyy\*.*"
The resulting output is a staggering 18% less compression than what i get using the GUI.
Can anyone please explain to me what i did wrong in the parameters? (i also tried ms=on although this is less fitting my needs).
Just don't use complex commands. Use simple things:
7z a -mx c:\temp\line.7z d:\xxx\yyyy\*
I tried what you wrote just now and it yielded the same results - the GUI produced an 118,007KB file while the command line produced a 124,554KB file (i am compressing several hundreds of files in and including subdirectories).
I also tried upgrading to v9.20 but that gave the same results.
7z l cmdline.7z -slt > cmdline.txt
7z l gui.7z -slt > gui.txt
And compare them.
Look for example dictionary size after "LZMA:" in "Method".
Sorry, it seems that a couple of files stayed in the .7z file from a first trial, and since i always updated the same 7z file, they stayed there and padded the total file size with about 10MB . Once i printed the content like you asked, i immediately saw them and removed them from the 7z.
It now works the other way around and the command line produces a 2MB smaller file :)
thanks for the help,
and thanks for the app!
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.