7-zip deletes a file just extracted

Anonymous
2012-05-19
2012-12-07
  • Anonymous - 2012-05-19

Dear 7-zip developers!

Thank you for the brilliant compression utility and a really great archive format!
    Please excuse me for my not clean English. I hope that inspite of this my message will be understandable :)

I would like to report the following issue.

When I open an archive in 7-zip file manager, and want to view some file from this archive, I just double-click the file, and an appropriate application is launched to open that file. But very often I get a "file not found" message and that's all. I need to decompress full archive to view or play the necessary file. It is very uncomfortably.

When I click the file, the 7-zip file manager extracts it to temporary folder, after that the appropriate application is launched to view or edit the file. These applications can use different methods for launching or opening the file: some of them use COM technology, some not, or maybe there are some another nuances: some lock the file, others not. We cannot control. I think the proper way to handle this situation is to delete the file only when user closes 7-zip file manager. Before this moment we cannot know: is file opened by an external application or not? But if user closes 7-zip file manager, we can delete the file.

As for now, when I try to open a TXT file, it opens OK, but if I switch to 7-zip file manager and back to my text editor (Notepad++), it says: "file does not exist anymore". When I try to open a music file, it even does not open (my player says that file not found), etc. etc. This is really not correct behavior and it needs some correction.

Is there any chance you will work on this issue?

Thank you and good luck!

Yury Plashenkov

• ipenker

ipenker - 2012-05-30

Maybe this is the cause to my problems!!!
    Is it happening on Win XP ?

Here is my problem :

I have a VS.net setup project - creating my setup.exe file.
    Then i have a post build event - trying to create the SFX like this :

"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a %zipFileName% %allFromOutputDir%
    copy /b "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7zS.sfx" + config.txt + %zipFileName% %outputFile%

When running its product - it cause this error :
    "This installation package could not be opened…"

or like this

"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a %zipFileName% %allFromOutputDir%
    copy /b "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7zSD_LZMA.sfx" + config.txt + %zipFileName% %outputFile%

When running its product - it cause this error :
    "Could not read configuration or configuration not found".

config file is saved in UTF-8 encoding.

NOTE : both errors only happen on win XP .
    On win 7 - it works great!!!
    Any other suggestions ?

• Anonymous - 2012-05-30

ipenker, it looks like you speak about something other.
    The issue I reported is common for Win XP, Win 7, etc.