on administratorde I opened a discussion, if it is possible to use 7zip portable to get files transported in a encrypted archive on a USB Stick. As this discussion is in German I will explain the sticking point:
2 PC and both are trusted. These PC have no 7zip installed and no administrator rights are given to the user.
1 USB Stick, that has 7zip portable (portableappscom/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable) on it.
Aim is, to get files in a secure manner from one PC to the other. Idea is:
1. Plugin USB Stick on PC#1 and start 7zip portable
2. Add secret-file to archive with 256 AES encrypted
3. Copy encrypted archive to USB Stick
4. Transfer USB Stick to PC#2
5. Plug-In USB Stick on PC#2 and copy encrypted archive to PC#2
6. Start 7zip portable from USB Stick and decrypt the archive to PC#2
The question that is not answerd yet is: Does 7zip while working (e.g. make new archive etc.) leave temporary files on the USB Stick.
This would matter because there is not a secure way to erase such files on a flash chip (as used in USB Sticks) relating to wear leveling enwikipediaorg/wiki/Wear_leveling
Everyones help with this is really appreciated! Thanks in advance and
I suppose that 7-Zip will not write any temp files to usb in that case.
thank you very much for your reply and in addition for your work!
So in your opinion this could be an easy and safe way to transfer data between two PC's?
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.