Menu

Multithreading and LZMA2 in ultra mode

2015-12-22
2015-12-23
  • Little Vulpix

Little Vulpix - 2015-12-22

Hello!

I'm trying to figure out why multithreading works the way it does in 7zip when ultra mode + LZMAv2 is selected (1GB dictionary).

Why does it seem so weird?

1 thread - 10783MB memory required
    2 threads - 10789MB (why the extra 6MB?)
    3 threads - 10789MB (why is this the same...?)
    4-5 treads - 22573MB
    6-7 threads - 33485MB

etc etc.

I always compress with 3 threads because I thought it gives the best possible performance with maximum compression, since the source data is not split into any chunks (solid archive).

I found an old comment by Igor:

for -mx5 and higher, when you specify
    -mmt{N}
    7-Zip creates M copies of LZMA2 encoder, where M*2=N
    Each copy of LZMA2 encoder creates 3 asymmetrical threads:
    1) thread 1 is 100% of CPU thread power.
    1) thread 2 is 40%-70% of CPU thread power.
    1) thread 3 is about 5% of CPU thread power.

So why doesn't it keep rising in sets of 3 but rather in sets of 2 threads per the next memory requirement increase? And what's with the first thread, why is it different? And lastly, it would cause reduction of compression ratio if I used more threads than 3, right? But if I use just 3 or fewer, the compression ratio is the best it can be, right?

Thanks for the answers!

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-12-23
    • So why doesn't it keep rising in sets of 3 but rather in sets of 2 threads

These 3 task threads do not give 300% of cpu load. They give 150%-190% of cpu load. So it's more close to 2 cpu load threads than to 3 threads.

2 threads and 3 threads are the same for 7z - LZMA / LZMA2 - Normal / Maximum / Ultra.

• And what's with the first thread, why is it different?

Each LZMA encoder instance in multithreading mode divides the task of compression into 3 different tasks, where each task is executed in separated thread: two big threads and one small thread. The total CPU load for these 3 threads can vary from 140% to 200%.