Creating multipart archive

fourwhey
2014-02-19
2014-02-19
  • fourwhey

fourwhey - 2014-02-19

When using the -w switch in conjunction with a multi-volume archive, how should 7-zip behave? 7-zip doesn't seem to respect the -w switch and create the temp archive in the entered working directory.

I was expecting 7-zip to create the archive at the path -wS:\Temp for example, then as each volume is completed to copy or move it to the destination.

I ran a quick test from the console.

C:\"Program Files"\7-Zip\7z u -ssw -mx1 -v64m S:\Backup\cb_bk01012014.7z S:\Backup\Test\cb_bk01012014.bak -wS:\Temp

The files aren't created in the working directory, but are in the destination. Is this the correct behavior? If so, what's the point of the -w switch?

Thanks.

Last edit: fourwhey 2014-02-19
  • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-02-19

The main idea with -w switch was to avoid the situation with two copies of archive in update operation in destination folder. But when you create new archive, it has only one copy. So probably it doesn't use temp folder.

Actually I don't remember details now.

7-Zip can't update multivolume archives.

• fourwhey

fourwhey - 2014-02-19

This was a mistake on my part to use U rather than A but it seemed to work ok.

So, -w is working as expected then?

Last edit: fourwhey 2014-02-19
  • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-02-19

I don't want to change that code now.

When you create new archive it, it doesn't need temp archive. So probably it doesn't use -w path (that is for temp archive).