Help with Large Directories

claudio
2012-04-29
2012-12-07
  • claudio

claudio - 2012-04-29

Dear Sirs

i always used 7zip to backup whole directories and subfolders, many years and no issue compressing and restoring

all process was automated by a script using 7za so i never notice that conditions of large directories and files on 32 bits machines

but recently with a file.7z that compressed with around 3GB size and uncompressed is around 5GB  size with more than 100.000 files and directories

the situation is that the hard disk broke and the backup file.7z 3GB after uncompressing is missing all folders from letter S and so on,

all final folders letter T, U,V W, X, Y and  Z are not being extracted

the -lst comand from Linux extract a 25MB text file with reference to many files, but no one after letter S is showed

the issue is with this 32 bits

my question is, no chance of having this files extract from the file.7z? is it possible that this files never where compressed so they never existed inside the file.7z ???

please let me know i am really needing this information

thanks
    Claudio

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2012-04-30

"7za l a.7z" command shows all files in archive.

• claudio

claudio - 2012-04-30

Dear Sir

i know that

7za l a.7z do show all files but do not show these files i need after letter S

my question is if can i uncompress all archieve disregarding the index and list of files, and maybe this files are there but only the dictionary is missing then, is it possible ? or once the dictionary miss the files it means that they were not compressed???

i looked for some lzma perl modules or unpack module at linux and it can agressively uncompress a lzma file and recover all mime and ascii information so maybe there is more on the file that the indexes are showing…

please let me know otherwise i will have to giveup and my customer is freaking out for losing this files

kind regards
    Claudio

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2012-04-30

Does test command works OK?
    7za t a.7z

I'm sure for 99% that if there is no file in list, then there is no file in archive.
    Also you can check total compressed size in last lines of list.txt
    7za l a.7z > list.txt
    and compare with real archive size.

• claudio

claudio - 2012-05-02

Hi ,

thanks for you kind help

yes

7za t a.7z

returns that file is ok no problem

7za l a.7z > list.txt

unfortunatly the file is not on the list, i guess is the large dictionary problem it aborted the compressing and close the file without the one i needed,

also it apears some sequence of

6c6c6c6c6c6c6c6c6c6c6c6c6c6c6c6c6

in the end of the uncompressing over the prompt after the final report and counting of kbytes and files

again thanks any information is greatly appreciated

sad that this file was lost..

kind regards
    Claudio

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks