cannot drag new files into zip

Anonymous
2012-07-03
2012-12-07
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-07-03

This is a test post. I just spent 20 minutes typing out a detailed description only to have my "topic caught in spam net". I will come back and add to this if it does not get caught in the net.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-07-03

Ok, that worked.

Here is my problem. I cannot drag files into an existing archive within windows explorer.

I am using windows 7 64 bit
    7zip 9.20 64 bit
    intel quad core processor
    8GB ram

Further details: When I drag an item in windows explorer, once I hover it over an archive, the archive does not register as a drop target. So dropping the item does nothing. If I change my archive association to not use 7zip (and use system default) then archives work as a drop target again. Dragging works if I open the archive in the 7zip gui then drag the files into the gui, but I did not have to do this on windows xp with 7zip, before I upgraded my computer. On windows xp, after dropping files on an archive, I would be presented with a window asking me what to do (overwrite/ignore, etc..) and all I had to do was click ok. Having to open the 7zip gui seprately now and close it as a separate action is much less convenient.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-07-06

bump?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-07-09

bump

• user_hidden

user_hidden - 2012-07-10

as far as my usage 7zip never had the option of dragging a file to the archive through explorer.
    the archive has to be openned with 7Zfm(gui) and then you can drag a file to it.
    the above is with WinXP-SP3 32bit

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-07-10

That is interesting. I have attached a screenshot of what I am talking about. The screenshot is taken from XP-SP3 32bit as well (I remoted into my old machine which is sitting on a server rack somewhere in the building here at work). It is the dialog that pops up immediately after dragging the files onto the zip inside the explorer window. The zip acted as a drop target.

If you genuinely don't have this, maybe I installed a plugin somewhere along the line that enabled it?? But I don't see that anywhere.

It's not a huge inconvenience. It's just that I've had the last 2 years of doing it one way, now I have to change because it doesn't work anymore :( And considering WinZip still supports it, and winrar, and fileroller in linux, it's a hard habit to get rid of.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-07-10

might help if I attached the picture I said I was going to….

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-07-10

Hmmm…. So I can't attach pictures. Awesome. Click attach, asks for a link, provide a link, and it block my post because it has a link in it……. screw these forums. I give up.