Menu

EXT4 IMG

2020-05-12
2020-05-14
  • Maximiliano David Ducoli

Hi.
    Sorry if this text is a bit confusing, but I had to use the Google translator because I speak Spanish and very little English.

I am testing with 7zip and I just realized that linux disk image files can be handled in Windows.
    If I open the file with 7zGUI it will show me the different levels inside the IMG file, for example:

I have a file called BATOCERA.IMG and inside it it shows me 2 files, one called 0.fat and another called 1.img
    Now if I click on the 1.img file it shows me all the content I need.

This is with several different types of IMG files which vary between showing me 1.IMG or 2.IMG or 3.IMG, etc, etc.
    But in the end it is the same. Inside some of those IMGs is the content I need.

Now; If I open the IMG file with the option "ARCHIVE INSIDE #", it shows me the following:
    one
    2.fat
    4.ext
    and clicking on 4.ext, it shows me the content I need.

My question is this:

Is there a way from the command line of the 7z.exe file to be able to extract the contents of the 4.ext file myself?

Some idea of ​​how to do that would be helpful.

Thank you!!!!!

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2020-05-13

you must use two steps in command line:
    1) extract top level items
    2) extract img archive

👍
    • Maximiliano David Ducoli

This is how I am doing it, but perhaps I had not understood the help well and there was a faster way, like the way the GUI does it, to display those files almost instantaneously.

I have it like this with a program I programmed in Delphi "-t # -slt" to obtain the information of all the files inside the IMG file, then "x-text" to extract the EXT4 file and finally I use "x" to extract all the contents of the EXT4 unit.

I'm making a tool for those of us who use Batocera, Recalbox, Retropie disk images on Windows and we don't have an easy way (Until 7Zip included EXT2, EXT3, EXT4 files) to be able to handle those LINUX disk files on this system operational.

Thank you very much for the reply!!!!!

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2020-05-14

That fast open of nested archives was not implented in command line version.
    You need unpacking for both leveles in command line.
    The gui can work without unpacking of top level archives.