cannot open file xxx as archive

2009-10-15
2012-12-08
  • motorcitytech

motorcitytech - 2009-10-15

Using 7Zip version 4.57, I do a right-click on my Windows Desktop, click "new", then "Zip Archive". I leave the file name as default, so I now have a file called "new zip Archive.zip". However, when I double click on this file,  I receive an error message "cannot open file new zip Archive.zip as archive". I open the 7Zip file manager, and browse to the zip file, attempt to open it, and receive the same error message. I have tried this on three different computers with the same result. On my laptop, I un-installed version 4.57, downloaded and installed version 4.65 (latest from 7zip.org), and receive the same error message.

All other functions in 7Zip seem to work ok. For example, right click a file on the desktop called "systems.txt", choose "7Zip", then "Add to systems.zip". I now have a file called systems.zip on my desktop. I double click this file, and it opens in the 7Zip Explorer, and I can view its contents (systems.txt).

I see several postings related to this error in this forum, but no answers.

• motorcitytech

motorcitytech - 2009-10-16

akapuma,
    the issue I described is a little different from yours, but related. in the issue I described, 7-Zip can't open a .zip file that was created using 7-Zip! there is definitely a bug in the program.

• akapuma

akapuma - 2009-10-16

Hello motorcitytech,

the question is: which part of 7-zip is wrong in your problem, the compressor or the decompressor?

To test this: can you open your zip-file with other software than 7-zip?

Best regards

akapuma

• motorcitytech

motorcitytech - 2009-10-19

Yes, I copied the file to another computer, and using WinZip, I was able to open it without issue.

• akapuma

akapuma - 2009-10-21

Hello motorcitytech,

I think, your problem, the problem of pavel13 an my problem is the same:
    There is a bug in the decompressor (extractor) part of 7-zip!

Strange, that 7-zip can't extract it's own files.

Best regards

akapuma

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks