how to set a default compression level?

• tkb101

tkb101 - 2008-12-06

i'm using the windows version of 7zip v4.62. i have it integrated into explorer shell (right-click extensions).

i can set the compression level to "add to archive..." because there is a dialog box preceding the compression. i also want the same setting to be used when i choose "add to <filename>.zip".

how do i do that?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2008-12-07

No way now.

• uncklose

uncklose - 2009-11-11

I've been having the same problem for a long time, though with "add to <filename>.7z".  It uses some kind of built-in default compression settings, whereas "add to archive…" will show the last compression settings used.  How do we make "add to <filename>.7z" use the last compression settings used, or otherwise configure what it should use?  Are there environment variables or something?

• B-Techuser-1

B-Techuser-1 - 2010-04-20

I also would LOVE to be able to set a default or selectable level of compression that would be used by the explorer shell (right-click), without having to go to the Add to Archive… options window.

Since I would prefer to set it to "Maximum" for ZIP so that it gives me something better than Windows Zip.
    As it is, if I select ZIP in the 7-zip explorer shell, it makes result  the same size as Windows zip, which means, basically, what's the use in even having that option.

Thank you.

• Sherry Flood

Sherry Flood - 2010-04-23

I agree.

• Charles Lasitter

I would like to be able to set compression level and other things like default dictionary size.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks