7-zip password recovery

2013-06-20
2013-06-23
  • Varun Shstri

Varun Shstri - 2013-06-20

for the past 3 weeks i am trying to recollect my password and i am totally incapable of doing it..
    i am not a programmer and hence i really would like someone to help me with this ..
    i did google it and have read the previous forums. it was mentioned that windows xp captures the information i am still using xp .
    my password would be maximum 16 alphanumeric characters ..
    i am ready to shell out time and resources to recover the files ..
    its a 200 mb file if required

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-06-21

What type of archive (zip /7z)?
    What characters did you use for prassword?
    How many hours of you working time are you ready to invest in recovering work?
    How many USD are you ready to invest in computer hardware for password cracking?

• Varun Shstri

Varun Shstri - 2013-06-22

its a 7z archive file..
    i there were no special symbol in the password i m sure about that
    i had tried brute force but i am not getting a proper software to do so they all provide just 3 carc support.
    time is not an issue for me i had kept the pc up for more than like 33 hrs last time but i figured out that the program i am using is just using numbers.
    so i had to stop it..
    il have to buy new hardware to crack it ?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-06-23

To crack the password of random 16 characters (low case letters and numbers) you need probably more than 1 000 000 000 USD for ASIC hardware.
    Probably you can crack 10-12 characters password with 10 000 USD, if you write SHA-256 software for GPU.

• Varun Shstri

Varun Shstri - 2013-06-23

:O
    alas !!
    il just keep trying brute force then :(

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks