Slow extraction of archives with a lot of files.

Hui Buuh
2016-12-31
2016-12-31
  • Hui Buuh

Hui Buuh - 2016-12-31

Hey

I had to extract .7z archives with a lot of files (>200'000) in one directory. This took about 90 minutes on my machine. While it was extracting I put all those files into a .tar compressed that tar with 7za downloaded it and extracted it in <15 minutes.

I tried to change the "overwrite mode" to always overwrite/skip so there wouldn't be a check anymore, but that had no effect on extraction time.

So I checked the source where the extraction is sleepy. The part slowing down extraction considerably after ~10'000 files is here:

CPP/7zip/UI/Common/ArchiveExtractCallback.cpp

The function GetStream is called for every file in the archive to be extracted.

599 CArchiveExtractCallback::GetStream

1078    // ----- Is file (not split) -----
    1079    NFind::CFileInfo fileInfo;
    1080    if (fileInfo.Find(fullProcessedPath))
    1081    {
    1082      switch (_overwriteMode)

To me this looks like a check if the file already exists so the user can be asked if he wants to overwrite the file or ignore or whatever.

I changed the slow file exists code to this:

AString aFullProcessedPath = UnicodeStringToMultiByte(fullProcessedPath, CP_ACP);
    const char * cpFullProcessedPath = (const char *)aFullProcessedPath;
    bool bfileInfoFindFullProcessedPath = ( access( cpFullProcessedPath, F_OK ) != -1 );

Which cut the 90 minute extraction time down to <3 minutes.

I just copied the string conversions from other parts of the source as I have no clue how those are handled, the important part is using the "access" function to check if the file exists instead of "fileInfo.Find".

My question is: "Is this very expensive way of checking if the file exists necessary?"

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2016-12-31

What version of Windows?
    What filesystem in output folder (NTFS / FAT)?
    Is it local computer volume or network folder?
    Do you have any antivirus software?

• Hui Buuh

Hui Buuh - 2016-12-31

I think I didn't express myself very well lol.

I did this on a Linux machine with ext4 file systems. The slowness is in the way FindFirst is done in p7zip.

On Windows the difference is very small. I ran a test with 200'000 files in a directory on windows:
    10'000 calls to FindFirstFile took ~240ms
    10'000 calls to PathFileExists took ~190ms.
    10'000 calls to GetFileAttributes took ~190ms
    So on Windows using FindFirstFile doesn't slow down archive extraction significantly.

I want to fix this problem in p7zip, but I don't want to make FindFirst faster if I can simply check for existance of the file WAY faster without any effort.

My problem is, that I don't know if the pattern checking of FindFirstFile is necessary in that context or if those paths never contain wildcards (* or ?).

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2016-12-31

The path doesn't contain wildcards there.
    Probably p7zip developers must try to optimize it.
    maybe it's simpler to opimize the code of
    NFind::CFileInfo::Find()
    in
    Windows/FileFind.cpp
    As I remember CFileInfo::Find() doesn't need wildcard check for other calls in 7-zip also.

You can try to change Find() code.

And probably you should create message at p7zip forum about that problem.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks