Menu

How to unzip to RAM?

narciss
2023-11-23
2024-01-06
  • narciss

narciss - 2023-11-23

When unzipping some archive / opening a file from the archive manager, one might want to leave no trace.
    From what I understand, standard unzipping writes to the disk, which even after /tmp being "cleared", still leaves some trace until properly writting 0the the disk region where the unzipped file has been written.

Is there a way to unzip/open file using RAM only memory?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2023-11-23

No way.
    Windows works with files on disk.
    Windows can't work with files in RAM.
    For example, Notepad opens file from disk. So we must extract file to disk, if we want to open extracted file in Notepad.

• mdadm

mdadm - 2023-11-24
    1. Do in cmd: "7z.exe l archive" to see if there is something interesting (I believe that it does not write anything to temp).
    2. Install some RamDisk program, create ramdisk, asign drive letter and extract that archive to that ramdisk through cmd command or in gui, but don't do drag-drop to extract. as it extract temporary to temp.

• Sam Tansy

Sam Tansy - 2023-11-25

It is possible with single file to decompress to standard output.
    If you want to read it from there you will no leave anything on disk.

$ unzip -p archive.zip path/to/file.txt
    # or
    $ 7z x -so archive.zip path/to/file.txt

• PopuriO2

PopuriO2 - 2023-11-25

You can use ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver by creating new drive (called Mount New). in case like in Hiren's Boot CD, the drive sets R: as an RAM Drive.

You may also select "Create virtual disk in physical memory" in the RAM or use virtual memory from pagefile itself.

The Size of Virtual Disk is depends you want choose, such as 512 MB so that you can format it. Then you can extract the RAM disk (likewise including temporary file).

Another third party manufacturer processor also included as well, including AMD Radeon RAM Disk.

• Marco Person

Marco Person - 2024-01-06

Before unzipping, Ram uses software as per his knowledge. then build the RAM disk on the window, start the executor, and then use a tool such as 7 Zip to unzip the file.

• the good doctor

the good doctor - 2024-01-06

I use OSFMount for a RAMdisk (fastest R/W RAMdisk); understand though that the majority of RAMdisks are NOT dynamically sized so you can run out of space decompressing large files if your RAMdisk is smaller than the expanded file (hence why my RAMdisk is 16GB).
    Modern NVMe, due to many factors involved with decompressing/writing a file, will give you similar performance (there is certain overhead that limits the performance of decompression/writing files).