When zipping a large number of files at ultra compression, if I play a game (say, Mechwarrior Online), will it screw with the compression or just slow it down?

• Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone - 2014-06-29

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.140309-1509)

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.7GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

The game seems to run just fine fwiw.

I only ask because I read that other things, like using 4 cores rather than just 2, can result in suboptimal compression of the files, and playing a game while zipping seems like it might affect things as well.

OTOH I am itching to play...

Last edit: Forbiddenone 2014-06-30
  • Shell

Shell - 2014-07-01

Sorry, your question has been cut in my browser. You'd better make shorter titles and print the rest in the regular messages.

The game would not affect the correctness of the archive. It may slow compression down if you use make 7-Zip to use all 4 cores. If it uses only 2 cores, most games will fit the other two perfectly. Usually (but not always), the compression ratio becomes somewhat worse with increasing the number of cores. However, the difference is usually considered negligible - about several percent of the archive's size.

The dictionary size will also affect compression ratio. If you specify 512M or more, the game may not work due to low memory conditions (or, if it is already running, 7-Zip may fail). If you make the dictionary too small, you will get worse compression.

• Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone - 2014-07-01

Thanks. Thus far it seems the only negative effect is that sometimes the game takes a while to load, which can result in me starting the game with half my mech blown apart ;P.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks