Add encryption algorithms

• Anonymous - 2010-12-28

I sure would like Mr. Pavlov to add the Serpent and Twofish encryption algorithms to 7-Zip.

• Jinx

Jinx - 2013-07-20

I would also like to see some additional encryption options.

The 7z format claims to offer the "ability to use any ... encryption method" ( However, only one method (AES) is implemented in the software.

Don't get me wrong: I am very appreciative of this one method, and it is probably plenty secure. However it seems dangerous to put "all the eggs in one basket." While I of course don't expect 7-Zip to reimplement Truecrypt (i.e. cascaded ciphers, plausible deniability etc.), it would be good to have at least one other encryption algorithm, so that a user could choose and perhaps even cascade them his/herself.

Of course, this other algorithm is only useful if it is implemented carefully/properly; this can be very difficult to do, I understand. I would much prefer no encryption at all to flawed encryption. Nevertheless, I hope that you can find the time to try.

Additional encryption options seem to be a very popular discussion topic. I hope some of this is taken into consideration.

Thank you.

• Joe Whitehead

Joe Whitehead - 2013-08-31

Well, I've considered submitting a design document for a way to use a public key, transparently. The idea being to encrypt a random key that you then throw away after sending the archive. Essentially a 1-way key-exchange. I think I could call it "Deniable Key Exchange" when used as a wrapper around an (optional) embedded 7Z archive? :)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks