Menu

7Zip Default extract directory in windows - How to change?

2018-07-03
2018-07-04
  • Mark Baghdassarian

My default extract directory in 7zip is C:\Users\Mark\Downloads\ Is there anyway to change this in 7zip? There is a reason im specifically asking to do this very thing - So i dont have to pick a directory each and everytime (about 20 times a day)...

Last edit: Mark Baghdassarian 2018-07-03
  • Radorn Keldam

Radorn Keldam - 2018-07-03

I'm going to venture saying that the reason your so-called "default extraction directory" is that "Downloads" folder is because the archives you are trying to extract are located there because that's where your web browser puts them when you download them.
    I'd suggest you go into your browser configuration menus and change that to something else.
    7-Zip doesn't have a "default extraction folder", it just "defaults" to extracting to the same directory the archive you are attempting to extract is located at.

• Mark Baghdassarian

Thanks for your response. Great help. If that is true though id be disappointed in the product especially since WinRAR can differentiate and change default directory.

• Radorn Keldam

Radorn Keldam - 2018-07-03

I don't see what's the problem. I didn't even remember WinRAR had that.
        I normally scour the config settings of the programs I use very early on to see how I can customize things. I guess I saw that and automatically ignored it, not seeing much use for it myself.
        I deal with lots of archives for different things daily. Why would I want any sort of "default extraction" directory. Seems like something that would cause more chaos than anything else.
        WinRAR has some nice features, indeed, but that one... I just don't see it.
        Even for non experts, it seems more of a troublemaking feature than something truly useful or convenient...

• Mark Baghdassarian

Last edit: Mark Baghdassarian 2018-07-03
  • Mark Baghdassarian

The problem is that if you have a directory where you download hundreds of zip files from a webpage per month you really want a folder to dump it to and that folder is the users / downloads folder for me - although the exact folder location is irrelevant. Chrome allows you to click the bottom of the page to extract the zip folder after its been saved to user / download directory. Now if the default extract directory of 7zip is the same as user / download what you are going to end up with is compacted and extracted files in the same directory - to avoid this you have to manually determine extraction directory over and over. The WinRaR product has this default extraction ability and saves time.

• Mark Baghdassarian

Last edit: Mark Baghdassarian 2018-07-04