4.0 release?

2004-08-07
2012-12-08
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Nobody/Anonymous

We are in August... according to the roadmap 7zip 4.0 should be released soon ;-)

any information/date ?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2004-08-07

31 August. But it will be only beta version

• Nobody/Anonymous

cool !

• Nobody/Anonymous

It's too far =(

• Nobody/Anonymous

>It's too far =(

How can you say?
      Igor did'nt mention the year, yet. ;)

Regards, deus-ex

• Nobody/Anonymous

Igor, you say that it's only going to be a beta version, is this because of unstable code, a 7z format that won't be backwards compatible or because it won't get the features it should have according to the roadmap??

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2004-08-13

I'm rewriting internal code. So it needs some beta testing stages.

• Nobody/Anonymous

What are the chances of 4.0 including drag and drop support?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2004-08-14

I don't plan it

• Nobody/Anonymous

Any chances of a drag and right click over folders with the option Extract Here?

It would be like putting the code under this registry value:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\DragDropHandlers\7-ZIP]
      @="{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}"

Then when you drag and right click over the folder a menu pops up.  But in this case, it would only show Extract Here.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I cannot find the source code of the current version. How can I support the development team with some source code?

• mypapit wuz here (info@mypapit)

errms... since some one mention this, why not you just put on a snapshot of your progress at 7-zip website, igor...

• Nobody/Anonymous

I hope there will not be any more delay on releasing 7zip 4.00, the release date is set to 31st August... and its nearing now....

• Nobody/Anonymous

What delay, in roadmap is august, and 31st is still august, so wait few days, I'm waiting for new version and hope it will have some improvements in UI (especially in extraction control in file manager, I'm comfortable with creating archives but extraction would be more similar like in WinRAR)

• Nobody/Anonymous

I thought 29 August ? :( I really dont believe in 31 August now , so much delays , June/Jule Agust Augsut 29 August 31 - and so on .... maybe ?!

Duno but im expecting very much now of v. 4.00 - and i hope taht this wont make all crash , cauz ALL are expecting very much now , cauz of this much and long delays.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Well...

I would rather be delayed for as long as it takes for it to work to Igor's satisfaction.

Unlike some other programmers who think bug ridden bloated apps count as releases...

• Nobody/Anonymous

The he should only have to say "when its done" and not always giving release dates... thats unprofessional!

• Nobody/Anonymous

7Zip is open source. It doesn't have to be professional :)

• Nobody/Anonymous

please be considerable, igor have spend his time on building/designing this wonderful software free-of-charge, the least you can do is show him some support...

• Nobody/Anonymous

"Well...

I would rather be delayed for as long as it takes for it to work to Igor's satisfaction.

Unlike some other programmers who think bug ridden bloated apps count as releases...  "

Yes! I agree with this! :-)

I like things to be released when ready, and only to have 'beta' or test releases which are clearly listed as such if the developer wants to have people find bugs.

Igor:- Take your time and thankyou, we a ppreciate your work

• Nobody/Anonymous

What time will it be out? 9am GMT would be good :p

• Xinok

Xinok - 2004-08-31

http://7-zip.org/ << scroll to bottom, release date has been pushed ahead to September.

• Nobody/Anonymous

*sigh* yesterday I refrained from saying
      sometime this year please, but now I have to say it..
      SOMETIME THIS YEAR PLEASE

• Nobody/Anonymous

if Igor postposes the schdule there is certainly a reason,
      but I would appreciate if he could say something more than just "next release date is ....".
      For instance he can post somethig like
      " feature such and such has still such and such problem, it is onli implemented at xx% so release is postponed".
      Not every day of course, but more frequently than now that he just waits till last day and then posts the new date.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2004-08-31

I suppose that first beta versions will have no multi-volume support.
        But they will have:
        - Absolute pathnames in command line
        - Multiple archives handling in one command (for extracting and testing)
        - Solving for problem with locked files
        - Unified command line interface to GUI and Console versions
        - Some other changes

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks