Problems with 7-zip and "compress ...

2010-07-01
2012-12-07
  • Oliver Raible

Oliver Raible - 2010-07-01

Hello,

I run Windows 7 / 64 with 7-zip 9.15x64. My Email-Application is Thunderbird 3.1 and it is the Default-Email-Application.

If I use the 7-zip menu-option "compress and email" I've got an error from MS Outlook, that "no Default Email-Client is installed,…".
    If I compress first and use the "send to"-menu option of the windows menu a new message is created in Thunderbird, as it should be.

Any idea, what's the problem?

Many thanks!
    Oliver

• Vacon

Vacon - 2010-07-01

Hello everyone,

there have been some more reports about MS's-programs that seem to refuse to collaborate with 7-Zip. What makes me lift my eyebrows in your case, is the fact that "MS-Outlook" complains about "no Default Email-Client is installed". Since I have no Win7, I can only guess what could be the problem. Most probably there is a problem in setting "Other manufacturer's software" as default.
    Just a guess…

Best regards!

• Joe Cunliffe

Joe Cunliffe - 2010-07-01

I am running Windows 7 / 64 with 7-zip 4.65 x64. My Email-Application is MS-Outlook 2007 and it is the Default-Email-Application.

When I use the 7-zip menu-option "compress and email" I've got an error from MS Outlook, that "no Default Email-Client is installed,…".

Any ideas?

• Vacon

Vacon - 2010-07-01

Hello everyone,

will *anyone* please enlighten me how MS-Outlook comes onto the playgound? The first poster talked about it (with Thunderbird as default mail-program) and the second one says, that Outlook complains about itself being not default?! o_O
    This seems to me to be a Win7-problem with mail-clients.

Best regards!

• Oliver Raible

Oliver Raible - 2010-07-01

Hi,

I hope I'm not in the need to be "anyone", because obviously I have no answer to that question.

But one comment to your point :

This seems to me to be a Win7-problem with mail-clients.

It cannot be a general problem with Win7 and E-Mailclients, because the Win7-Menuoption "sent to - email" works fine.
    Only the shortcut in the 7-zip menu complains.

Best Regards,
    Oliver

• Oliver Raible

Oliver Raible - 2010-07-04

Hi,

one additonal information. I've removed 7-zip x64 and installed 7-zip (32 bit) - same version 9.15.
    This works! The archive is compressed and attached to a new Email.

So, it's some problem with the 7-zip x64 - 9.15.

Regards,
    Oliver

• BrianG_Simi

BrianG_Simi - 2010-07-19

I had the same problem with 7-zip x64 and using the 32 bit version solved this for me. I tried both 4.65 and 9.15 of both the 32 and 64 bit versions - neither x64 worked, but both 32 bit worked.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with Outlook 2003 SP3.

• BrianG_Simi

BrianG_Simi - 2010-07-26

Just realized one caveat…if you run the 32 bit version in a 64 bit version of Windows, you'll only get the context menu in the 7-Zip File Manager - the context menu doesn't work in the Windows shell if you use the 32-bit 7-Zip with 64-bit Windows.

• Humangenom

Humangenom - 2011-03-21

I have the same problem. I reported it over a year ago. 64bit version on 64bit windows. at that time, nothing worked. now it seems the 32bit version works.
    I can only say that WinRAR 64bit works without any problems.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks