Menu

new final version of 7-Zip...with reasons

zivilist
2014-05-15
2014-07-16
  • zivilist

zivilist - 2014-05-15

Hello,

please release a new final version of 7-ZIP!
    There are many changes from 9.20, so I think many people think that 7-ZIP from 2010 are not stable for Windows 8/8.1, but it is. AND: not everybody wants to use a beta declared software and maybe think there are no further development.

regards,

• Guastardo

Guastardo - 2014-05-15

Igor please, listen to him :)

• xinyingho

xinyingho - 2014-05-25

I think that what we should ask is why Igor still doesn't consider releasing another stable version after 9.20.
    There should be several functionalities introduced since v9.20 that he considers not to be stable enough yet. What are those lacking functionalities?

• Steffen W

Steffen W - 2014-05-26

PC-Journals (such as com, PCWelt, Chip...) also only reference to four year old version stable 9.20 on their websites and include this old version on their new CDs/DVDs.
    It is as if all development since then simply doesn't exist!
    Everyone not monitoring the forum will think it is a dead project.
    Instead Igor is producing one alpha after another and warns not to use them for processing important files and archives.
    I can not understand the logic behind this!

• Johannes Hauber

Johannes Hauber - 2014-05-26

I think there are reasons why no stable version is offered. But let Igor Pavlov answer the question.

• thexfile

thexfile - 2014-05-30

You never want to pull the cake out of the oven before its time.

• chillstream

chillstream - 2014-05-31

But you also don't want the keep the cake in the oven waaaaaay past its time. that way you get a melted cake, a dirty oven, and angry people who just wanted to have a nice delicious slice.

• TravisO

TravisO - 2014-06-03

I second this, the last non alpha/beta version was 4yrs ago!!! 7-Zip is an awesome application but I have a hard time getting people to use it in the business world because they only want to use non alpha/beta versions.

Igor please!

• Lee Wiscovitch

Lee Wiscovitch - 2014-07-04

I would like to throw my support behind this as well...Not that the current release (9.20) isn't sufficient, but I would like to move up to something newer. Personally this isn't that big a deal, but professionally the organization I work for has a very strict policy on using alpha/beta software.

• dos386

dos386 - 2014-07-09

FYI, 7-ZIP version 4 came out in 2004, in 2009 Igor bumped the version number from 4.65 to 9 due to the year 2009 (some users got VERY angry about that), so the next stable version of 7-ZIP must be 15 ;-)

Last edit: dos386 2014-07-09
  • YubiGalaxy

YubiGalaxy - 2014-07-10

Good idea!!

• YubiGalaxy

YubiGalaxy - 2014-07-10

Good idea!!

• szfong

szfong - 2014-07-10

I don't mind if the next version is 7-Zip 17.0 ;-)

• Carm

Carm - 2014-07-11

I find it interesting that the issue of a stable version has never been addressed by the dev, yet ironically releases alpha after alpha, after alpha ignoring requests for a stable version. Everyone is in the dark on the matter.

The beta is over 3 year old
    The most stable release is approaching 4 years old

Surely there has been enough testing to release a stable version of this software.

Other popular compression utilities are regularly updated. I would hope that the developer takes heed to this as like others are saying people will see it a a dead project and move on to better things, or 7-zip will truly be dead.

I don't mean any disrespect, but some constructive criticism in hopes of getting this addressed or at least a sticky explaining reasons to this lack of attention to a stable release.

Regards

• Sr. Zé Alguém

Sr. Zé Alguém - 2014-07-15

Being an open-source project, it would be nice to have at least some other structure of forums, bug control system and a live source-code repository, so more developers could contribute patches; and then, it would not rely exclusively on a single developer with very limited spare time for the project.

Hey c'mon, I'm sure Igor is sick of people asking him to release a new stable build.

• FC117

FC117 - 2014-07-15

i am sure even Linux distro maintainers would want new sources to update .7z over so long time

• foxpat

foxpat - 2014-07-16

Igor has said 2014-06-21 at 7-Zip 9.33 alpha

Nearest days - next alpha.
    If there are no critical bugs, beta with source code will be released in 1-2 weeks.
    Then probably I'll start to work for RAR5 decoding support.

The 7-Zip 9.34 alpha thread looks pretty stable lately; the last bug report (acked by Igor) was posted 2014-06-24

Then we should see the next Beta at any minute if Igor didn't change his plans.
    Yes I know, it's a Beta, but at least the Linux world will be very happy with it and all the Linux distros will immediately add the new code.

Igor, please let us know of any news.

Last edit: foxpat 2014-07-16
    • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-07-16

Unfortunately there are some new annoying problems in latest alphas. So I'll release at least one alpha before beta.

• foxpat

foxpat - 2014-07-16

Thanks Igor for letting us know.
        Hopefully the new Alpha and Beta are not going to take too long.
        Keep the good work !