Menu

7zip and p7zip / compiling on Linux

Marshall
2021-01-11
2021-04-08
  • Marshall

Marshall - 2021-01-11

I remember a discussion about the differences between 7zip and p7zip and why p7zip was outdated, but can't find it anymore. So I'm sorry for creating a new topic instead.

I took a look at the lzma1900 sdk source and most of the C source files will actually build without problems on Linux. The example tools for 7z and lzma can be build with the provided Makefiles, for the full C sources I have attached a Makefile. Multi-threading still requires porting the code to use pthread, but compiling single-threading is fine. That being said I wonder why p7zip is so outdated or why it's still a separate project at all.

To do:
    - missing Makefiles for Linux/*nix
    - command line utility with most/all features from p7zip
    - MT support using pthread

An example Makefile is attached. Writing a command line utility or updating the present one based on the p7zip code is probably not too hard. I could attempt this when I find the time. The MT stuff is probably the hardest part as I have only little experience with pthread.

Last edit: Marshall 2021-01-11
  • StretchTheBits

StretchTheBits - 2021-01-13

I don't know about your questions but since this is about Linux, is there a GUI version of 7-zip for Linux?

If not, why not? I am not seeing one on the 7-zip.org page but there are multiple Windows installers.

• Juan Decent Comment

I'd suggest checking out Installing p7zip GUI for Linux and the Archlinux AUR comment section for p7zip-gui