• dos386

dos386 - 2012-03-03

Igor wrote:

> You can expect next version in April.

and

> 7-Zip 9.26 2012-04-01
    > Next version is expected to be released in April 2012

I'd strongly recommend to release it at <=29 March or >=3 April … otherwise
    nobody will take it serious, and change the predicted date "2012-04-01" ASAP :-D

> request unace file type.

BAD idea and requested already 1'000'000'000 times. Problems:

- NO source code for UNACE 2.xx
    - Bad license for the crappy DLL
    - Crappy DLL not compatible with 7-ZIP design

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/forums/forum/45797/topic/3374636
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/forums/forum/45797/topic/1423725

> You can use the advapi32.dll/CryptCreateHash to calculate MD2/MD4/MD5/SHA1
    > hash (since Win95/Internet Explorer 3.0). That way, your program size will not
    > increase while supporting more hash functions. It's very simple

Bad idea to depend from IE (Hint: your PC gets much safer if you uninstall it).

Native implementations are always better. Only MD5 is missing in 7-ZIP, and it's not THAT bloated.

• sascha

sascha - 2012-03-06

Publishers Certificate. Will the final products of 7 zip freeware ever get protected with a code signing certificate. Nobody wants freeware that can be modified. Most of my freeware is certified and is freeware. Verisign can encrypt the source code, so that the final product cannot be altered once the publisher codes it. Ccleaner , revo uninstaller etc are freewares that have a publishers certificate so that the source code cannot be modified. I hope 7 zip will do certified in the future , but not fips 140.2.

• sascha

sascha - 2012-03-06

Publishers certificate prevents source code from malicious tampering and protects people from downloading malware. After more than 10 years of the 7 zip community programming , I think 7 zip is good enough to be a certified product , and or sales version. If you love 7 zip protect the final source codes from illegal mods , already there are open candy hack tools that open 7 z files. Please code sign your 7 zip so the final products wont end up as malware, all the best

• sascha

sascha - 2012-03-06

To verify certified software, simply right click on properties , go to digital signatures then install certificates. Usually there are 2 certificates e.g one from verisign and one from the publisher . Always install certificates before installing the software . Code signing offers protection of software from civilian or govt modification. Enjoy

• sascha

sascha - 2012-03-07

Found a bug in 7 zip , whenever you change the show grid lines and then apply and ok it, it then says that it "could not invoke any of the subscribers. May affect current versions and alpha versions as well. And another improvement for 7 zip would be to hide the ciphertext in another file so that none of the ciphertext could be analyzed. If you managed to convert ciphertext to a text file it shows the ciphertext, but if this ciphertext is put inside another folder then when someone convrets it there wont be any ciphertext. If you do any cool upgrades in future versions then the extra folder to hide the ciphertext in would also be really cool. Bye for now.

• sascha

sascha - 2012-03-07

Found a bug in version 9.20 whenever you change the show grid lines in the options it then says, "could not invoke any of the subscribers". For a future upgrade you could also hide the ciphertext inside another folder, this way if anybody wanted to study or convert any ciphertext , that they would not be able to . The ciphertext could be put into another folder so that nobody could see or analyze it.All the best !

• sascha

sascha - 2012-03-07

My apologies for duplicating my comments, this stupid add reply continues to send stuff when I havent finished writing my comment . Pressing the x on the mozilla doesnt stop the comment being loaded when I use the x.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-03-12

«An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers» error message.

7-Zip 9.25 x64 version on Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 .

Reproducing steps:
    1. Run 7-Zip File Manager
    2. Go to: «Tools» → «Options…» → «7-Zip»
    3. Mark «V» on «Open archive» checkbox line and press «Apply»
    4. You will got the following error message: «An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers».

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-03-12

One more general suggestion to 7-Zip.

Please, upgrade UI to Win7/Win8 style. Current Win9x icons looks very ugly and doesn't suits to others icons inside of Windows 7.

Thanks.

• joopbraak

joopbraak - 2012-03-13

Please don't "upgrade" to windows vista/7 style. This style is very ugly and doesn't match the icons and looks of other programs in Windows XP.
    As 7-zip is basically a one man's project, please put your limited resources in improving the program instead of looks like transparency and other nonsense.

Thanks.

• Vincent

Vincent - 2012-03-19

"Note: The current version of 7-Zip support reading of archives from stdin only for xz, lzma, tar, gzip and bzip2 archives."

If reading of archives from stdin could also support the zip format, it would be greatly appreciated. Would love to have it in the next version!

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2012-03-20

I don't like any thing related to stdin in ZIP.
    As I understand most programs that support stdin in zip now use Info-Zip's scheme.
    But ZIP format specification (from pkzip) uses another scheme.

• Vincent

Vincent - 2012-03-20

This might be a dumb question, but when I download a zip file from the web, I can choose to open it directly in 7-Zip without saving the file to disk first, and from there extract specific files to disk - When that happens is 7-Zip reading from stdin? If not, what is happening?

I'd like to be able to do the same with the 7za command line version from within a Python script: download the zip file to memory, and have 7za extract the files to disk (using -x for some exclusions and -o to specify an output location.) Should I be able to do that with 7za without having zip-format stdin support?

I read about Info-Zip's fUnZip command line tool, but apparently it only extracts the first member of the zip.

• Ti&Ti

Ti&Ti - 2012-03-21

> I can choose to open it directly in 7-Zip without saving the file to disk first,
    No you can't.
    > If not, what is happening?
    All browsers work the same when "opening" files from the Web:
    - Download the file to a temporary location
    - Call the program associated with downloaded MIME type/extension.
    This misfeature was introduced in order to ease/"streamline" user's experience, but brought it's load of problems. Like when the user changed the downloaded document, faithfully saved it in-place, only to have it deleted during temp folder cleanup. Or he was simply unable to find it in randomly named temporary directories. To circumvent this, application developers had to develop detection mechanisms to propose saving to "My documents", etc.
    Further more, each time the user click on the document it is downloaded again, wasting time and bandwidth.

• Vincent

Vincent - 2012-03-21

Ok, I see. I had mistakenly thought it wasn't writing to disk because it had seemed faster - but it may have been the way I was downloading and saving the zip file to disk with Python that was slower. Thanks for responding to my question!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-03-22

I make this request here because it concerns upcoming versions.  Please consider adding a parameter to set archive time to latest in archive.  I know I would find it very useful and others would as well.  Thanks for all the hard work!

• gora2

gora2 - 2012-03-27

Блокирование мыши при распаковке.
    Действия для воспроизведения бага:
    1 Скачиваем инсталлятор http://app.gomlab.com/rus/gom/GOMPLAYERRUSETUP.EXE
    2 Открываем папку с инсталлятором и перетаскиваем его ЛКМ на ярлык 7zFM на рабочем столе. Файлы и папки инсталлятора видны в окне архиватора.
    3 Открываем окно с папкой подготовленной для приема распакованных файлов инсталлятора
    4 В окне 7zFM выделяем ВСЁ (Ctrl+a)
    5 Перетаскиваем выделенное ЛКМ в подготовленную папку (п.3)
    6 Происходит распаковка и на 40% появляется окно "Подтверждение замены файла" в котором мышь отображает "кружок" (Система занята) и нажать мышкой или перетащить окна архиватора невозможно. Приходится перемешаться по кнопкам окна с клавиатуры и нажимать Enter.

Win 7 x64, 7-Zip 9.25 x64.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2012-03-27

It's old BUG.
    I just don't know the way to fix it.

• joopbraak

joopbraak - 2012-03-29

I think it's a windows 7 bug. I have seen these strange phenomena with other programs in windows 7 as well.

• gora2

gora2 - 2012-04-03

Здравствуйте, Игорь.
    Есть ли ключ в 7z.exe для извлечения только верхнего PE уровня EXE инсталляторов, аналогичный пункту контекстного меню "Открыть архив > *"  ?
    Спасибо.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2012-04-03

-t*
    or
    -tpe

• Hossein Azadmanesh

Hello ( << wondering why no one uses this in posts here)
    Igor, another oooooold bug PLEEEASE fix it!
    In Windows 7 when you double click on an image in an archive Windows Photo Viewer fails to display the image (maybe the temp is removed before Windows Photo Viewer loads). Most other file types work (pdf, doc, etc), the only problem is with images!
    Again please make "Calculate checksum" able to calculate checksums for files in archives.
    Please implement MD5 checksums too :)

• Enod Barker

Enod Barker - 2012-04-15

cyrus107
    Nobody wants freeware that can be modified.

Wrong. Maybe you don't. The millions of people who write, support & use open source software do.

Verisign can encrypt the source code, so that the final product cannot be altered once the publisher codes it.

Very bad idea. Totally defeats the point of open source software (which the release & betas of 7-Zip are).

If you love 7 zip protect the final source codes from illegal mods.

Heh, see above. There is nothing illegal about using open source software code-in line with the license it has (very important; 7-Zip uses "GNU Library or Lesser General Public License (LGPL)")-to make your own changes.

I say: if you love 7-Zip, please don't change it to closed source.

Ccleaner , revo uninstaller etc are freewares that have a publishers certificate.

See above. Neither of those are open source.

Please code sign your 7 zip so the final products wont end up as malware, all the best.

Security by obscurity, that's been proven to work really well (not). I won't get into the massive debate about security other than to ask: please don't change 7-Zip to be closed source to avoid an imaginary problem about "lack of security". And yes, having 7-Zip & other open source software switch to closed source to be "more secure" is an imaginary problem.

To "protect yourself from malware": download 7-Zip from official approved sources only. Like SourceForge here. On the download pages for each file version, you will see a "I (view details)" icon beside each download.

Click the icon. You will see both SHA1 & MD5 hashes for that particular file. Compare the file downloaded with one of (or both) of the hashes listed and you can verify what you downloaded is what the author originally uploaded. There are tons of hash comparison tools available on SourceForge & elsewhere. You can also check out the original source code of beta & release 7-Zip versions. No problems.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-04-19

@ Azadmanesh :

Use another image viewer like xnview or IrfanView, these work with 7-zip, i can open whatever image i want in an archive with xnview.

• andrewks

andrewks - 2012-04-21

I found a error: 7Zip cannot extract files from this ZIP archive:   zalil.ru/33114909
    Others archievers extract them correctly.

<< < 1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 3 of 4)