Menu

Very long paths-revisited

joeldeehr
2014-01-23
2014-01-25
  • joeldeehr

joeldeehr - 2014-01-23

Earlier there was a post (https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45797/thread/67334954/) about very long paths in 7zip.

Although the examples in this page deal with compressing, I would think the same principles apply to extracting.

From what the article says, I would think I would build my command line like this:

&7z "x" "\\<ourServer>\glassfish\$Tier\$DeployShare\$FileName" "-o\\?\\\<ourServer>\glassfish\$Tier\$DeployShare\$ApplicationDirectory\"

I have tried this and several other derivatives, but have not come close yet to having a command that uses the "support for names longer than 260 characters" that I am seeing all over google. I am running this command inside powershell.

EDIT: I should add that this process is extracting a war file built by Grails. This is not just a compressed file that we manually compressed.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2014-01-25

1) try 7-zip 9.32 alpha.
    2) if it doesn't work also, try to find simplest command that doesn't work.

• Mark Cleary

Mark Cleary - 2017-02-15

If you are using the \? prefix and a file share you need to use \?\UNC as the prefix. You can test your syntax using explorer. EG explorer /e, \?\UNC\<yourServer>...
    CMD.EXE's dir command works with \? for local files but not for UNC. Powershell works with both.