Menu

Windows kicks 7zip out of memory if the window is inactive for a long time

Gabest
2023-04-19
2023-04-21
  • Gabest

Gabest - 2023-04-19

Not sure if this can be fixed, but this is my observation. Set dictionary size to max (3840m) and start compressing something huge. Memory allocation goes up to about 35GB with almost 40GB commited. It is as expected. But then if I leave the window alone for a while, all the memory it uses is getting evicted into the page file and it just constantly generates page faults until I click on the window again. Then it slowly reloads it from pagefile.sys. It can be followed in the task and resource manager. More detail, I'm looking at the machine via remote desktop and when the window is inactive, the whole desktop is inactive. I have yet to test this locally. (Windows 11)

Last edit: Gabest 2023-04-19
  • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2023-04-20

What is size of RAM?
    Please describe exact compression settings,
    what softwareand configaration is used, your actions and clicks.
    Is it reproducible without "remote desktop"
    Is it reproducible with another smaller dictionary?
    What is exact trigger setting value for unexpected behavior?

• Gabest

Gabest - 2023-04-20

The machine has 64GB.

This is a screen capture, you can see the compression settings there in the command line.
      https://youtu.be/raf3oWSYM5w

I tried setting the focus to the task manager and waited, nothing really happened, only a few memory dips, then minimized the remote desktop window (19:51 everything becomes inactive) and it happened around 26:30. After waiting ten minutes in the blind, I checked on it (30:42) and it reloaded all the 35GB from the page file. The displayed activity of pagefile.sys in the resource manager lags a bit.

Going to make more tests locally with or without a locked session.

I don't think dictionary size matters, it is just more spectacular if 35GB is used.

(In case you were wondering, I'm recompressing my totally legally obtained file collection with the new increased dictionary size, so far gained half TB after recompressing ten. Hard disks are expensive!)

Last edit: Gabest 2023-04-20
      • Gabest

Gabest - 2023-04-21

Locked session does the same, except I cannot record task manager, it stops updating its values. When I log back in, memory allocation sits at the minimum and starts reloading immidiately. https://youtu.be/37HXeq497l4 (only uploaded the part when I login again)

Strange that Windows is so conservative with so much memory. If I interpret it correclty, it's working out of the page file when I leave it unattended.

Last edit: Gabest 2023-04-21