Multiple code page support?

2010-11-17
2014-02-25
  • Shiina Luce

Shiina Luce - 2010-11-17

I use 7-zip 9.10beta and Windows Server 2008 R2.
    I often receive some compressed packages in which filenames are in a different code page, maybe like Japanese in SHIFT-JIS or so.
    I would like to know if there's any method or plugin that could give me a list of available code pages I can choose from.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2010-11-17

no way.

• chupakabra

chupakabra - 2010-11-17

It would be good for 7z.dll to provide a way to get original unmodified file name so that application based on 7z. can provide user with code page selection interface. Maybe add a new property like kpidOriginalPath or kpidOriginalName. This will resolve problems with tar archives that do not have code page information.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2010-11-17

Yes, I also think about such feature.

• Julian Becker

Julian Becker - 2013-04-16

Sorry for bumping this topic. I still have the problem, I get many ZIP files from Japanese people and very often they use file names containing SHIFT-JIS letters. So far I am always running 7-zip (32 bit) using AppLocale for these purposes but it's always a bit of a hassle admittedly (permanently changing the Locale is sadly no option here). I could also happily accept extracting files using the command line (I'd make a right click option for those) so some option in addition to -mcl would be more than enough :) (something like "-mcp SHIFT-JIS"). I know auto-detecting the code page would be close to impossible and more of a lucky gamble (I notice how often browsers fail at that job). The best option obviously would be some option in the 7-zip file manager to select a code page but I imagine that would be difficult.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-04-16

OK. I'll add -mcp switch for command line version.
    -mcp=932

• JayXon

JayXon - 2014-02-25

Hi Igor, I tried 9.32 alpha and it seems it does not support -mcp switch.
      Just want to remind you in case you forgot about this feature.
      And I'm hoping you could consider adding a code page option in 7zFM as well.
      Thank you.